The Sewing Place

Cats!

Iminei

Re: Cats!
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2021, 11:37:19 AM »
Just make sure your material costs are covered ....

Fabric can be surprisingly expensive and most non-sewers do not realise this ... in the age of Florence & Fred, Primani etc.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2021, 19:06:24 PM »
@Wayfarer Look them in the eye and tell them exactly how much good quality fabric costs, add in any wadding, and don't forget the cost of good thread, and the electricity that powers the machine. If they want cushions, who is going to provide the pad?

If you want to work for free, that's up to you, but tell them you're not working at sweat shop speed. If you have 10 people all wanting their stuff NOW, it won't be so relaxing. Be realistic about (over estimate) the delivery date and work at a pace which is comfortable for you, not flat out till 2 in the morning. (We still haven't got that finger wagging icon...  ;))

Sheilago

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 13:30:01 PM »
@Wayfarer , I agree with everyone’s comments. Even if you are using left over fabric for other projects, it’s easy to forget that the fabric did cost you something originally. If you start to get lots of orders, you certainly might want something to cover your time.Would have thought big squishy hugs , as a reward, were outlawed in Bolton :hug:
 People often ask me to make quilted personalised cushions and I’ve worked out that fabric etc plus cushion pad costs at least £14. It is surprising when you add everything up. They usually pay £20-25, which is not a lot for 2-3 hours work, but then it is really just a hobby for me and that covers my costs and for friends I’m happy to do them a favour. For people I know less well, I often wonder if they’ve ever looked online to see the price of personalised things. I hope so, as I always have this nagging feeling that they think that’s quite a lot to pay.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 13:33:43 PM by Sheilago »

Bill

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2021, 01:22:40 AM »
Oh no problem there. I don't mind doing the work for free but the fabric costs always land in the 'customers' pockets, not mine. Unless I bugger up of course.
How does one charge for thread used? I can't see how anyone measures that. Surely even Gutterman stuff comes out at pennies unless an entire spool is used up?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Deafoldbat

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 18:56:54 PM »
@Wayfarer Aurifil cotton 50wt is £8.80 for a 1300m spool (at Cotton Patch), which means roughly 147m for £1. Empress Mills 50wt cotton is £4.80 for 1000m which means roughly 208m for £1. For piecing you can probably get away with using black, grey, white, fawn or lilac thread which will blend with most fabrics, so you stock up on that. You can probably charge a flat rate for thread if it's a colour you use a lot, but you may need a particular colour to finish a binding, or to topstitch or quilt and have to buy that specially. Keep an eye on the pennies.

Catllar

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2021, 19:49:13 PM »
So agree with everyone else.Don't take on too much - it will lose the joy. Cover your costs at least.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !