The Sewing Place

Tuffet anyone?

b15erk

Tuffet anyone?
« on: June 03, 2021, 14:45:30 PM »
I'm a bit of a stranger in these parts, so treat me gently!

Looking for armchairs recently, I realised that if I don't buy recliners, I will need a footstool. So, researching these earlier on, I found a thing called a Tuffet, and not only that, but it's possible to make one myself. 

I've found one tutorial (-ish)  here, I think even I could manage this.

So, have any of you made one of these, and if so, do you have any tips? 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lisalou1965

Re: Tuffet anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2021, 14:47:51 PM »
A tuffet!!! What a wonderful word...so that is what Little Miss Muffet was sitting on ....
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 14:54:18 PM »
If you do decide to make one, Lady Sew and Sew sell patterns and kits.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2021, 15:00:06 PM »
Feceache is also your friend in this area ... Ive seen several made both from craft fabrics and old jeans!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 15:09:19 PM »
@StitchinTime , thank you - I didn't know such kits were available!  A bit pricey though...

@Lisalou1965 , lovely word isn't it!  It is exactly what you would imagine Miss Muffet sitting on! 

The one I want to make is like this:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 15:11:13 PM »
Thats something to remember for TSP's Secret Santa Swap
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 15:16:01 PM »
Jessie no I haven't made one, but I saw them over at Lady Sew and Sew, and as a result of wanting something a bit different to give to my sister in Canada (it had to be small and light) I bought her a pin cushion Kit, and my sister did enjoy making this up once she had returned home.  The pin cushion one came as a kit but minus the little bun feet which I had to buy as an extra.  I bought this a good few years ago now and I think it was about £18 or thereabouts.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 15:20:55 PM »
I didn't know I wanted one until I they came up on a Google search - now I know I really need one!

Apparently you can make them by Foundation Paper Piecing, but although I have done this, I'm not a fan. 

I may have to play around a bit - maybe make a pin cushion size, just to see how easy it could be... :laughing: :dance:

I may be able to use a lot of scraps up too.

Jessie

fajita

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 15:52:22 PM »
Didn’t someone on here make one a year or two back.

fajita

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 16:01:45 PM »
They're usually made from kits. Loads on Facebook
Triumph of hope over experience :D

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 16:21:57 PM »
@fajita Thank You!!  I'm really encouraged after reading that!  It looks fab!

I've drawn myself a provisional template - not full size, just to see how it looks.

Jessie

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 16:46:53 PM »
They look fabulous, but I think well above my patience paygrade @b15erk  I bet yours will look fabulous. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

toileandtrouble

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2021, 16:59:13 PM »
Didn't @SewRuthieSews make one not too long ago? (which will probably turn out to be X years!)
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2021, 17:21:54 PM »
Yes, I used https://closetcasepatterns.com/fabric-floor-pouf-free-sewing-pattern/

I did 2 blog posts on it
http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2019/02/closet-case-ultimate-scrap-busting-diy.html

http://ruthieksews1.blogspot.com/2019/02/closet-case-ultimate-scrap-busting-diy_4.html

I think it won in House Beautiful Contest - January 1st to February 28th 2019.

My friend loved it so I said she could have it. She wanted it to be lighter, so I made a bean bag inner for it (from an old beanbag) and its still in her living room for her to put her feet up.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 17:26:09 PM by SewRuthieSews »