The Sewing Place

Hemostats

So Chic

Hemostats
« on: June 05, 2021, 15:56:22 PM »
Help please - after looking at Kenneth King's tutorial on invisible zips I've decided I need a hemostat but can anyone recommend the best one for sewing as there seem to be so many on the market.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Gernella

Re: Hemostats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 16:14:30 PM »
What's a hermostat, never heard of one of those @So Chic
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lachica

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 16:20:17 PM »
Hemostat is the American term for an artery clamp. Around £3 on eBay.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2021, 16:40:05 PM »
I have a couple of these @So Chic , and they are useful, although I don't use them as often as I should.  I find tweezers easier, but when you really need to grip something tweezers just aren't grippy enough.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2021, 17:26:33 PM »
I have a set of two, one straight, one curved, bought on EBay, cost me less than £5+Postage. They're standard surgical haemostats, just the job, I use them frequently, especially the curved one. I got the idea on this forum (where else? :)).

This was the description: Hemostat mosquito forceps fishing surgical veterinary craft curved & straight 5" pliers.. There are very similar items on there now.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2021, 17:56:39 PM »
Who knew mosquitos use forceps! @Vezelay
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 19:46:21 PM »
Yes, they're great to have for all sorts of jobs.The curved ones are especially good for pulling out clumps of those dreadful tiny thread ends after ripping out overlocking although I actually like unpicking but enough of my weirdness.

At the moment I bless them (either straight or curved) every time I have a lined dolly dress bodice to turn through narrow shoulders. Wonderful!  :D
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 23:29:32 PM »
I have found haemostats useful for threading the elastic through face masks.  Push the haemostat through the channel, grab hold of the elastic and pull through.  Often easier than trying to use a bodkin or safety pin.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

So Chic

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 13:40:22 PM »
OH asked what I was looking for and he said he had one in his fishing boxes so I don’t need to buy one.  He’s cleaning it up for me as it hasn’t been used since before lockdown.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up