The Sewing Place

Recommendations for Diploma/Certificate to Teach Sewing in Schools?

ScubaGirl

Ok, so maybe a bit of an unusual post... I have 2 questions.

1. Did anyone here take any sort of textiles/fashion/sewing course in their GCSE or A-Levels (Or other High School Sewing classes)? If so, what sort of things did you learn?
2. If you wanted to be able to teach said courses, what diploma or other certification in sewing/textiles/fashion would you recommend? (Preferably not a long 3+ year degree, maybe a 1 year qualification of sorts?).

For context, I am already a QTS teacher with 15 years+ experience. However, I am qualified/experienced teaching Music and English Lit. I've been sewing my whole life and I started a sewing club in my school last year, and the kids loved it (mostly KS3 students), and so did I. I thought, maybe this is something worth getting some formal education so I can actually teach courses? I teach abroad in International schools so I'm not worried about strict rules to teach it, but want to get the actual skills/background to be confident and set my students up for success.

Last question.... if I took some sort of programme based on your recommendations, where might you recommend studying in the EU but taught in English?

HenriettaMaria

Re: Recommendations for Diploma/Certificate to Teach Sewing in Schools?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 14:11:48 PM »
Is City & Guilds still a thing?  Or a BTEC of some description at a local college.  You already have the teaching qualification so it's the formal skills you need to be sure of.  After that I'd think it's just a matter of delivering a curriculum.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 18:20:52 PM »
I’ve also wondered about what’s required to teach (basic) sewing skills.

Looking on YouTube, there are a number of sewers (both self taught and formally trained) producing “How to” videos for specific skills or run through making a complete item and some feel very professionally produced.

Formal training courses run by local colleges tend to focus on fashion design/pattern cutting/tailoring and can be lengthy to complete. I looked at what’s available locally and they had a 3yr course which covered additional subjects I’d no interest in studying.

The thing about sewing is it’s very much a hands on practical skill and used to be taught as an apprenticeship type programme in many textile businesses.

I’m not sure I’d want to sign up to an online short course as often they’re not externally validated so it’s tricky to determine their quality and value for money, before parting with your cash.

At the moment, I’m happy to host an informal Ladies sewing group and teach the absolute basics and refer them to books and YouTube for anything more complicated. 🤔

As you’re already a qualified teacher, could you not work out a programme to cover basic beginners skills? I’ve got my ladies sewing straight lines and curves, making bunting, a simple tote bag, chicken shape phone holder, pin cushion, simple patchwork, an easy Apron etc. before jumping into more complicated dressmaking projects.

Lachica

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 21:37:01 PM »
As you say, you're an experienced teacher as well as an accomplished sewist. (I remember seeing photos of your garments some while ago). You've also run a sewing club at your school which everyone enjoyed. This says to me that you already have the skills to develop a SOW. I was going to say that in private schools you don't need to be qualified in sewing to teach it, but you already know this. If you're apprehensive about teaching to an exam, could you start by offering a non-exam class as enrichment?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Morgan

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 14:11:55 PM »
Deleted- answered the wrong question.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 14:14:28 PM by Morgan »

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:24:36 AM »
Sorry for the delayed reply. Thanks for the words of wisdom. @Lachica what you said about offering a non-exam class might be the perfect thing. I actually just found out that Cambridge is no longer offering the Design and Textiles IGCSE course anymore (it ended in 2023.) When I look for jobs, I think I'll try to find a bigger school, because that'll support a larger range of course offerings.