The Sewing Place

Hi From Switzerland, and soon Malaysia

ScubaGirl

Hi From Switzerland, and soon Malaysia
« on: June 06, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »
Hi,
I'm Kristel and super excited to find a sewing community not of FB.
A bit about me: I have been sewing most of my life on and off. Taught by my Mom. <3 I'm an international teacher, and when I started abroad I didn't sew much. But then I became a scuba instructor and found the rash guards and bathing suits to be super expensive, so I bought a machine  :sew: and started sewing again. But now I make all my work (teaching) clothes and my swim/diving attire. I've really been upping my sewing game over the covid times. Anyway, I'm currently in Switzerland moving over the summer to Malaysia for a new job and will get to set up a new sewing space. I'll be looking for all the advice I can get.

Anyway, so thanks for the approval and I look forward to meeting y'all.  :toast:

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Hi From Switzerland, and soon Malaysia
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »
Hello and welcome   :)

We love to see pics of anything you make  0_0

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 13:12:23 PM »
Hello and welcome @ScubaGirl  I am sure you will find lots to interest you here.
Still learning

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 13:21:58 PM »
Hello there...

Kenora

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 13:37:31 PM »
A very warm welcome from me too.  :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 14:12:45 PM »
Welcome! That sounds like an exciting life. I'm impressed by anyone who can make swimwear.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

fajita

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 14:25:42 PM »
Welcome @ScubaGirl   :flower:

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 14:26:04 PM »
Welcome to TSP.  Impressive making that sort of thing!

ScubaGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 15:05:29 PM »
Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Really great to be here.

It's funny how we see our own challenges. When I decided to make my own rash guard (first time sewing swim, and 4 years living abroad without a sewing machine), it never occurred that it would be any harder than anything else. Haha...I tend to go into things blindly...but I think for that reason I'm rarely intimidated by much.
I was living in Singapore and didn't know anything about the pdf pattern world, so didn't bother looking into patterns...I just took a rash guard I had, traced out the basic shapes onto craft paper, cut out the fabric, and sewed it. It's the one I'm wearing in my profile pic. Not perfect, but totally wearable. After that I never looked back.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 15:59:09 PM »
Hello and welcome from me too. It sounds like you lead a very exiting lifestyle, I'm a bit envious  :thumbsup:

Lilian

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2021, 20:16:51 PM »
Welcome from me too @ScubaGirl  :vintage:  :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2021, 21:00:50 PM »
Yes, @ScubaGirl, when we don't know what we don't know we can achieve wonders!. At 16 I made  a velvet cloak out of a pair of jumble sale curtains. I didn't know velvet was difficult. At 20 I made a corduroy jacket, I didn't know a jacket was difficult. At 20- something I made a satin evening dress on my grandma's 1897 hand cranked machine. I didn't know satin was difficult. Keep on sewing your way!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2021, 22:39:41 PM »
@ScubaGirl welcome to TSP.  What a lovely attitude to sewing you have.  Keep going.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Puzzler

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 07:34:05 AM »
Welcome to TSP.

Nevis5

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 07:37:57 AM »
Hello and welcome @ScubaGirl  from me too  :toast:  your sewing sounds seriously impressive to me, I wouldn't know where to start!