The Sewing Place

Hi From Switzerland, and soon Malaysia

ScubaGirl

Re: Hi From Switzerland, and soon Malaysia
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 08:56:24 AM »
You guys are super great. So great to meet you.
I'll try to post some things I've made in the attire section. I've been focussed on work clothes lately (my short time in Switzerland) since I haven't been able to go scuba diving since March 2020, and swim fabric here is very expensive. But hoping to change that when I get to Malaysia.

EDIT: Actually it seems I can't attach photos...I guess I'm still figuring this out. :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 09:08:58 AM by ScubaGirl »

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
Hi  :)

Subscribers can attach photos, but even without being a subscriber, if you use Lunapic you can put images into your posts.  Instructions can be seen here.

I think an awful lot of sewing happens because nobody has told us that something is difficult, or needs special handling.  I made my first couple of t-shirts as though they were woven, and they are still going strong - but I want to make a swimming costume and (having read far more now) I am so scared of the fabric and the fit that I'm not sure I'll ever get there.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 09:31:18 AM »
Hi  :)

Subscribers can attach photos, but even without being a subscriber, if you use Lunapic you can put images into your posts.  Instructions can be seen here.

Oh, thanks for this. I'll try it out.

As for the swim. I guess my only advice to help encourage you is find inexpensive/on sale swim fabric, like a plain solid. That way if you mess up you're not out a ton of money. And then start with a pattern you already know. So I did a rash guard as my first swim. I could easily us a raglan or basic t-shirt to make it. Also I used a basic leggings pattern cut short to make my first swim bottoms. I think you should just go for it.  :hug:

Diane

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 12:24:17 PM »
@ScubaGirl  :flower:A huge welcome to TSP  :sew: look forward to seeing what you make
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

realale

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2021, 14:16:37 PM »
Welcome @ScubaGirl. I'm not much into swimwear but applaud your attitude to just have a go. I had to buy a new swimsuit when my friend treated me to a spa day and I found the previous one I owned had perished from disuse!! think this may happen to the new one as well  :P
So many beers, so little time.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 14:49:18 PM »
Welcome @ScubaGirl. I'm not much into swimwear but applaud your attitude to just have a go. I had to buy a new swimsuit when my friend treated me to a spa day and I found the previous one I owned had perished from disuse!! think this may happen to the new one as well  :P

Haha, fair enough. And I was like that in my previous life (aka, pre-tropical living). I was not a water person and was lucky to find 1-2 occasions per year to wear a swim suit. But then I moved to South East Asia, and now that I teach diving in salt water, I go through quite a few of them. And actually more the rash guards and swim pants than the actual swim suits.

sewminds

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2021, 08:22:13 AM »
hi @ScubaGirl from another newbie to the group!
Sew it needs juice!

ScubaGirl

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2021, 09:18:38 AM »
@sewminds thanks. I'm loving the community here so far.  :)

sewminds

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 10:51:25 AM »
They do seem a lovely bunch. I just need to knuckle down on a few things...like stop testing things with the two sticks and hooks elsewhere and actually make use of the books I've borrowed from the library and sew something!
Sew it needs juice!

whofilets

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
Welcome welcome @ScubaGirl ! I miss southeast Asia. I loved the food in Malaysia!
I have some swim fabric in stash thats been waiting around for me. I'm inspired by you, to make an attempt to sew it up!
US to UK, brought all the fabric and yarn with me

ScubaGirl

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 11:54:47 AM »
@whofilets thanks. Definitely go for it! My latest 2 swim suits haven't even seen water yet.  :'( I hope to change that soon, being close to tropical waters.  I am looking forward to Malay food for sure. I lived in Singapore for 5 years and could live on Massaman and Penage curries and nasi goreng....haha. I actually am going to have to look into where I can buy swim fabric there.

Catllar

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 21:31:06 PM »
Nice to meet you @ScubaGirl . Good to meet someone else  who makes swimwear! I reckon the only thing to be careful about is the right elastic.  I have only made 2 scuba wet-suits - the making wasn't very hard, however getting the things on and off was always a challenge!

Where will you be in Malaysia?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

ScubaGirl

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 08:23:52 AM »
@Catllar thanks. I've never had issues. My bottom patterns don't require elastic and although I use some elastic in the straps on the top, it's pretty minimal. And of course rash guards and swim pants don't use elastic. If I'm honest, I sometimes don't even use swim elastic. LOL. It's not always easy to find depending where I'm living.

I'll be going to Kota Kinabalu in Sabah.

Catllar

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »
Excellent - we were there a few years back for a few weeks  and we are often in Penang ( Or we were before all this stuff started!)
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !