The Sewing Place

Aunty J's Lap Quilt

Lowena

Re: Aunty J's Lap Quilt
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 18:45:55 PM »
@Bjay I do mine on the king sized bed. I take off the duvet and pillows and sandwich it on the bottom sheet / mattress
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Bjay

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 10:32:49 AM »
I need some advice

Total brain fog about how to quilt this. FMQ is not an option as I'll just mess up but I don't really want to do lines.
Any ideas please
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

fajita

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 10:47:41 AM »
You could do a ‘shape’ (tree/flower/heart/letter) on each of the light coloured squares. Or even on all the squares. I think either would work.

BrendaP

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2021, 10:50:48 AM »
Hmmm   Quilting is lines.  They might be straight, curved or wiggly but always lines.

Circles in the big squares.
Decorative machine stitch along the narrower strips.
A meandering line going from side to side along the narrow strips.
Hand tied rather than quilted.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

realale

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2021, 11:36:59 AM »
Do you have any 'fancy' stitches on your machine? i.e. not straight stitch. Just use one of those.
So many beers, so little time.

William

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 11:50:47 AM »
Have You thought about quilting along the diagonals?

How far apart does your choice of batting allow for quilting?

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Ploshkin

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
I spray baste on a not big enough table but I haven't yet tried anything wider than 60" which is the width of the table.  I do a section at a time with the excess fabric folded back.  Then i move it along and have a couple of chairs to catch the done bit as it goes over the edge of the table.  I baste the backing fabric and the quilt top to the wadding separately.  Just doing a section at a time I find it easy to smooth out the fabric with my hands ( I have been known to use a rolling pin).
Life's too short for ironing.

Bjay

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2021, 18:09:35 PM »
I have spent a lot of time with sewing mchine probs. Think I've done it now
Then I worked out a pattern, divided the quilt into 1/4's.
Then stupid here went too far on a pattern, messed up and have spent a lot of time unpicking - story of my qui;ting life  :headbang:

I find it hard - sewing machine jumps stitches as soon as it sees the walking foot.
In the end I transferred to ordinary sewing cotton and haven't used the lovely variegated quilting thread I bought.
Not a very happy quilter here.
I just find it  tricky

Lowena

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2021, 19:04:39 PM »
I can't get on with a walking foot @Bjay that's why I always hand quilt

Bjay

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2021, 17:46:39 PM »
I think I have solved the sewing machine problems. I just hope my machine will survuve.

Looking back over quilts I have made I have not had a problem with stitch length consistancey, puckering and general mess before I had this machine and with the old machine I was making much bigger quilts.
The Rainbow quilt, Capt America quilt and now this one have been really difficult to produce anything even the quilt police would turn a blind eye to. - uneven stitches, etc
Nearly gave up earlier today as no matter what I did - lots of test squares as well they just would  not come even.
Endless unpicking as well.
SO
I thought this problem did not happen with previous machine walking foot. Yes it is a different design and I have been told  not to use it but desparation set in - either that or a new machine I cant' afford
SO
I attached the older walking foot, checked all attachments seemed the same
AND
regular even stitches done at faster than a go slow pace, no jumped sttches and it looks ok. A general neatness that I haven't had for a while.  :D

Now unpicking all the rubbish done before but now I know I have a solution
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 17:49:16 PM by Bjay »

Bjay

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2021, 16:52:32 PM »
Phew
I do not enjoy quilting I have decided. The last big quilt was even more tramatic than this one - mind you it was a lot bigger.
Anyway quilting is complete so I have rewarded myself with a cup of tea and a couple of garibaldis.

I did diagonals through the brown pattern and double squares in the trees

I could have easily quilted in 1/4's, in fact I thought of it then somehow didn't. :facepalm:

So just the binding to do in the dark colour now. Shoildn't take that long

Flobear

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2021, 16:55:05 PM »
What a relief to hve found a solution to the machine stitch problem @Bjay .

I have to say that I don't think quilting will ever be my favourite part of P&Q either  -<
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2021, 18:14:30 PM »
It's the sandwiching I hate. :angry:
I'm a minimal quilter  :|

Bjay

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2021, 16:14:32 PM »
Yesterday I put the bag with the binding fabric on the table - put it away at dinner time.
Put bag on table again today and have cut strips, presses and sewn together the binding. I have, also trimmed quilt so all ready now for attaching binding.
Seems very slow going just lately  :rolleyes:

Bjay

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2021, 13:26:18 PM »
Here it is - finished

The quilting was very slow progress and it wasn't really  tricky design
Squares on the whitish patches

Backing - a brushed cotton sheet for softness

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 13:28:59 PM by Bjay »