The Sewing Place

Why are my binding corners sometimes too tight?

Sheilago

Why are my binding corners sometimes too tight?
« on: June 08, 2021, 19:57:39 PM »
I really thought I knew how to do mitred binding corners, using the method I saw online years ago. I sew to about an inch from the corner, then fold the binding up at 45 degrees to the corner, then fold it down along the next side and begin stitching from the top. Usually this works, but sometimes I get corners where there doesn’t seem to be enough fabric to get nice square corners and they’re a little rounded. I can’t work out why.

Has anyone got any idea? My latest quilt has broader than usual binding . I cut 3” strips for the double layer binding , so it’s about 3/4” wide  each side , instead of the usual 1/2”. Would the width of the binding affect this?  :thinking:
I didn’t think it would if I folded at 45 degrees to the corner, but the corners are all a bit tight. They’ll have to do: I’m not unpicking all the binding :faints:, but I’d like to know for the future.

twopence

Re: Why are my binding corners sometimes too tight?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 20:36:12 PM »
When I sew the mitred corners I stop stitching 1/4inch away from the corner (if I am sewing a 1/4inch away from the edge) lift the needle, fold the binding up at 45 degrees and down then put the needle back down and carry on stitching.  That is the same as you are doing but I am going nearer to the corner before lifting and turning the binding and there always seems to be enough binding fabric to have square corners.

charley

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 20:38:18 PM »
@Sheilago I trim the corners a tiny bit if it looks a bit tight. I usually use 2 1/4" binding, but occasionally 2 1/2" too.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
I too stitch to 1/4"  from the corner ( if doing a 1/4" seam).  Perhaps the corner is getting squished out a bit sometimes so there's a smidge more fabric and wadding in there.  A trim, like Charley says, should solve that.
I'm currently leaning on a quilt on the back of my sofa that has quite rounded corners.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 08:35:58 AM »
I stitch to within 1/4” take the needle out fold at 45% and then stitch from the top down the next side.

Sheilago

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 10:36:46 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions. I’ve gone back and sewn the binding closer to the corners and trimmed more of the bulk away, which seems to have helped a bit. I think I need to experiment with how I fold the binding fabric as I go round the corner.

Sheilago

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »
I had a bit of spare time, so just watched this video on binding. It shows an interesting little technique of sewing into the corner at 45 degrees before turning. It also shows a great way of joining the binding at the end, so you can’t see where you started and ended.I’ll definitely try that next time. :D
Hope this is the correct way to add a link!

https://youtu.be/0vCWpxBRs20
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 10:59:40 AM by Sheilago »

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
@Sheilago ... the link goes to a tutorial for knitting ?!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:11:35 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 11:01:18 AM »
Fixed it @Iminei  :D. For some reason my you tube always defaults to an old crochet tut I used years ago  :rolleyes:

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
Thanks for the link @Sheilago .
I do what charley and Ploshkin do and trim a smidge off the corner of the sandwich and put it out for the birds to reduce congestion.
I also sew up to the quarter inch away from the turn then reverse a couple of stitches (can't stop being a lightsider deep down  ;) ) and cut the thread. I then carefully fold the binding how I want it to go, add a smidgette for ease (another lightside moment) and restart stitching from a quarter inch in from the end. Sounds a lot of faff but it only has to be done 4 times so it's no big deal.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

charley

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 20:29:30 PM »
@Sheilago yes, I sew up to 1/4" from edge, then sew into the corner at 45 deg, cut thread, then fold fabric up, and then down, and start stitching again. I trim the corners a little as I stated before. I think I know what you mean by joining the end bits too, I have finally got that bit to stay in my head.

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2021, 07:21:46 AM »
I also do the stitch off the corner at 45° bit.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 02:26:57 AM »
I was always taught that you stop from the corner at the same distance as your "seam" allowance. So if you are sewing your binding on using a 1/4" foot/distance from the edge of your quilt then you stop  1/4" from the corner. If you are sewing with a 1/2" allowance, then you stop 1/2" from the corner.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 05:29:47 AM »
That is exactly correct @rubywishes  ...

and when I sew my extra wide bindings with a 5/8ths foot (ie a normally positioned needle) I stop the same distance from the edge, pivot and sew a 45 degree angle off the quilt and back again before cutting my threads, folding the mitre and starting again.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2021, 09:51:58 AM »
That's what I do too
Triumph of hope over experience :D