The Sewing Place

Echo foot

Sara-S

Echo foot
« on: June 08, 2021, 22:24:05 PM »
I bought this set of feet, mostly for the ruler foot that is much easier to put  the machine, than most.
https://sewingbysarah.com/collections/presser-feet/products/free-motion-quilting-foot-set

Since it came with an echo foot, I gave it a try, on some scrap fabric.  Of course, my sewing was a mess, as I have never used it before, and it clearly will take some learning. 

Has anyone here ever used one? If so, I would welcome any hints.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

RJR_38

Re: Echo foot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
Have you done free motion before? Is it the free motion element you are having trouble with or the echo? Free motion takes some practice...

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 10:19:57 AM »
@Sara-S , never heard of such a thing - but then I'm not a quilter.  What I did notice though - apart from how useful these feet look, is how much cheaper they are than in the UK.

I will be very interested to see how you get on.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 11:32:23 AM »
Echo quilting is where you follow a line a set distance from another line ... typically the edge of a block.

You can do this by placing your walking foot so the outside of the foot follows the shape of the block .. you will then get a line of stitches echoing the block.

I had a look at the vid and couldnt see any guide on the round target foot that indicates spacing but assume you use the edge of the target to run along the block/last line of stitching

You can also achieve echo quilting with a stainless steel quilting guide that comes with every quilting machine or kit.

I suspect that Echo footy is a bit of Spin.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Kad

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »
The red lines on the clear disc foot, that looks like the USS Enterprise, are supposed to help you maintain a .25" distance from the line that you are following. I've got one. I don't use it. It's a lot easier to practice and do it by eye. The red markings on the foot obscure the line that you're trying your best to follow. :scream:
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »
Have you done free motion before? Is it the free motion element you are having trouble with or the echo? Free motion takes some practice...
I have quite a bit of experience with free-motion. But none with this type of foot.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 18:24:58 PM by Sara-S »

KayK

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 13:57:15 PM »
It's not easy! But as mentioned before, you line one of the target red edges up with a ready sewn line or the outline of a - say- appliquéd flower and off you go!  I have that very foot, and tend to use the open toe one most of the time.  It's worth having a go, but not everyone's cup of tea!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

RJR_38

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2021, 17:03:21 PM »
Others have already said what I would say really - the red lines are meant to be your guides but I find if almost impossible. If I want to do echo quilting I prefer to use a standard foot once I have used my walking foot to put some stabilising lines in. Otherwise, I use my open toed hovering foot for FMQ.as it is quieter than the hopping foot
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 06:53:35 AM by RJR_38 »

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2021, 18:26:23 PM »
I know what is supposed to happen; i.e. lining up the red line with your stitches.  But I couldn’t keep it there, without wavering so much it just looked sloppy.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2021, 19:15:34 PM »

I couldn’t keep it there, without wavering so much it just looked sloppy.

@Sara-S sounds silly, but were you trying too hard? It probably didn't look as bad as you think - stand 6 feet away and see if you can spot the wobbles - but like all these things it takes practice.

Some quilters swear by a glass of wine half an hour before they start sewing - they relax and it gets easier! Can you be drunk in charge of a sewing machine? :thinking:

Sara-S

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2021, 19:41:18 PM »
I’m not imagining the sloppiness. My first attempt was just godawful.