The Sewing Place

Sewing Room layouts

Flobear

Re: Sewing Room layouts
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
I keep seeing 'Sewing Room layabouts'   :P

Following the fred as I'm trying to plan my 2m x 2m sewing room for when I have time to get started on it. My biggest concern is a cutting out table that will be big enough to lay out a decent chunk of Light side pattern but not so big that it will get in the way.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2021, 11:36:48 AM »
@Flobear you might need to settle on using a table in another room for cutting out.  I have a Horn cutting table that is on castors and  folds down quite small but I've hardly ever used it because of the space needed to open it out and still have room to walk all round.  I have wheeled it into the kitchen a couple of times for curtains and when I made Mr P's jacket.  Mostly i cut out on the dining table.

I picked up one useful tip from that video @Gernella - having a cork board on the wall in front of the machine.  Currently I  end up with post it notes stuck to my machine, table top or the side of the wardrobe behind me.
Life's too short for ironing.

realale

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
My sewing room, being the converted loft has the majority of walls sloped and it's a bit of a problem at times but it's so big I'm not complaining!!
The stairhead and banisters around the stairs have been covered by my DH so I have a very large surface which I use for cutting out, assembling - well everything really.
I would post a pic but the state of it is not something I willingly admit to  :| Hey, I'm creative and I don't have to put anything away!!  :laughing: It may look a mess but I know where everything is - well, roughly  :rolleyes:
So many beers, so little time.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2021, 11:57:06 AM »
@realale Sounds exactly like my room.  I wish I had a straight wall to put my tall bookcase up.  Lots of fiddly corners too. The Velux windows are good for the light though.
Mess? What mess?  That's work in progress.  (apart from when I pulled things out to find something for someone else)   I would like a full day on my own to put everything back where it should be - I was in the middle of sorting out  better places for things, then the boxes of yarn fell over and a load of paperwork to sort landed.  you can have a photo in a year or so.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

realale

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2021, 12:00:57 PM »
Oh yes, the light up there with the roof lights is excellent and I have managed one tall skinny bookcase but otherwise 1 metre is the highest I can go.
After 6 years of not having anywhere to sew I am LOVING every inch of my room!!
So many beers, so little time.

Gernella

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2021, 12:06:46 PM »

I picked up one useful tip from that video @Gernella - having a cork board on the wall in front of the machine.  Currently I  end up with post it notes stuck to my machine, table top or the side of the wardrobe behind me.

Snap, @Ploshkin  although I can't put one on, I don't like 'things' on walls unless they are pictures so the post it note rules.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

charlotte

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2021, 15:30:18 PM »
The seller withdrew from the accepted offer, so we are not buying that house.
So who knows what shape/size the new sewing room will actually be.

Still collecting ideas though :-)

Waah! House buying is so stressful. Hoping you find that perfect sewing room, and the house that goes along with it!  :D