The Sewing Place

Not quite a horn

Bill

Not quite a horn
« on: June 10, 2021, 13:36:18 PM »
My new sewing table.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JGWR1YM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_2099RWM9KP5N41Y53735?psc=1

Technically it's an office/writing table but the steel frame makes it good for sewing machines and cutting on.
Putting it together was a breeze thanks to all but one hole lining up. 6 adjustable feet made getting it balanced and level a bit tricky but more sturdy...'specially on wonky unlevel bedroom floorboards.
I have plans to fit shelves and things under it in time when I don't feel quite so rotten.
Can't really complain for £60 :)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Ploshkin

Re: Not quite a horn
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2021, 15:11:37 PM »
That looks a very useful corner piece.  I expect a unit of Really Useful drawers would slide underneath nicely.
Life's too short for ironing.

Sara-S

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 19:27:14 PM »
Looks like a great work surface. It gives you separate space for cutting & for sewing. There is certainly room for a small shelving unit, or if you prefer, a small drawer unit underneath it.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 10:01:35 AM »
That looks really great, I like a table with space underneath to sew on rather than something like the horn cabinets, it just seems to suit me better

Bill

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 20:28:40 PM »
I got my drawers. They're plastic cheapo things on castors. In each drawer there's a lack of dividers so I bought a bunch of food containers to keep everything organized.
On the right I've a little trolley I bought when I first started sewing and that's used for fabric/sweeties life saving rations stash.
It works  :)
I need a better chair though. Either the seat is too small or my ar&e is too big.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

KayK

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 08:31:11 AM »
Nice to see TSP on your laptop!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »
That's the trouble with 'underneaths' they are so tempting to put things under.  My machine foot (a slab one) keeps migrating backwards, even with two pattern baskets to try and stop it.   So I finished up putting an empty cardboard box behind them and up to the wall.  Works a treat.

That looks like a very tasty sewing machine, lots of space to the right as well.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
I couldn't work with all that mess under the table
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sara-S

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 13:31:14 PM »
I just saw that your machine looks a lot like mine (also a Brother)   If it’s not the same model it is surely in the same product line.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 15:57:58 PM »
Recommend you make a lightproof cover for your machine (or throw a blanket over it) when not in use.  You've got it by the window, which makes a lot of sense, but sunlight can make the plastic of the machine brittle.  I had my Brother's spool pin snap off even though it's got a hard case because the pin is below a gap in the case that the handle passes through.  Now I keep my pressing cloths on it to keep the light out when it's not being used and I throw a lightproof cloth over it when I finish for the day but don't want to put it all away overnight.

I agree with you about sewing (or office) chairs.  It's never one-size-fits-all so you have to shop around.  Unfortunately since Staples shut their stores there isn't an obvious place to look at new retailed chairs.  Might be worthwhile seeing if you have a second-hand office furniture dealer within reach then you can try before you buy.  That's how I got our three Kinnarps chairs and they're great.

Bill

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 20:15:38 PM »
I couldn't work with all that mess under the table

What mess!?  :P

I just saw that your machine looks a lot like mine (also a Brother)   If it’s not the same model it is surely in the same product line.

Innov-is A150. A dream when it works. A royal pita when it doesn't.

@HenriettaMaria it's usually covered with the rigid cover that came with it or a woven one I made for when the extension table is fitted, but I do have plans for a (now that you've mentioned it) light blocking canvas one...hmm...