The Sewing Place

Vogue 1387 Rebecca Taylor View A

b15erk

Vogue 1387 Rebecca Taylor View A
« on: June 11, 2021, 16:44:38 PM »
I've been wanting to make this since doing View B which is the shirt.  I thought it would be a cool summer top, well it is, but the pattern itself wasn't the only problem I had.

I chose a fabric which had been marinating in the stash for quite a few years and I thought it's time had come.  What I hadn't allowed for was the diagonal pattern.  I haven't done a very good job on it - it's very badly matched.  Then the weight of the fabric proved problematic, the sewing machine wanted to eat it, and the overlocker pushed it away.  In the end I did what I had to do to finish the damn thing.

The pattern.  Again, something I should have looked more closely at, and probably done a toile. Firstly, I didn't do a wrapover, I don't like them, they never sit well on me, and I'm constantly tugging at them.  So I cut the front, on the fold, down the centre line.  However, the bodice above the elastic is too short, and I'm now tugging it down (cue to drop a few pounds!).

I don't like the sleeve arrangement at all.  The sleeve bands stick out, and they are cut very low and you have to sew in a gusset.  I would definitely change this.

Finally, I didn't do the tie arrangement, as my fabric is so fine that I was afraid it would tear.  It would certainly have added to the aggravation.

All in all, I like this, but it is very poorly sewn, and that will drive me mad!

I will do this again, but with a new sleeve arrangement, and keeping the V Neck.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

Re: Vogue 1387 Rebecca Taylor View A
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 17:38:31 PM »
I really like that  :thumbsup:

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 10:35:13 AM »
I love that stripe pattern but I can see it would have been a mare to work with!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 10:03:19 AM »
I failed miserably to find fabric to make another of these tops.  Two pieces were big enough for the main pieces, but not the yoke, and the other two were too big to cut into for a top.

I think I'll stick with my first choice, which I abandoned because of the huge issues with the grain (or lack of).

I can't sew until tomorrow as I'm painting, so I'll use the time to have a think.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 09:17:46 AM »
At last I found a piece of fabric which I think is perfect for this top.  It's a fine knit, but no stretch, and has been in the stash forever.  The colours are a bit 'in your face', but I like it...

I'd already altered the first top, as I hate wrap tops gaping open, so I now have a V neck.  The next alteration I made on the 2nd version, was to raise the V at the back, and cut it on the fold, to make it easier to do a burrito.  I didn't like the finish on the first one, and this seems to have worked better for me.

I've change the sleeve arrangement too, I didn't like the gusset and band arrangement, so I've raised the armhole to get rid of the gusset, so now I just need to adjust the sleeve band.

I also added a half inch to the body, and 3/4" to the flounce, but yet to see if that works. 

Only an hour or so work to do, but the O/L started to play up before I finished yesterday.  :S

Will update later.

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 14:30:51 PM »
Just finished this 2nd Vogue top, and I'm much happier with this version.

I did all the alterations I mentioned in my previous post, and they suit me better.  I also left off the tie.  I put a faux tie on the previous version, and I just didn't like it, so I cut it off.

This particular fabric has been in the stash since Adam was a lad, and I forget what I originally bought it for, but it suits this top.

I may or may not make this again, but if I do, I will do my version, as I prefer it.

Jessie

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 14:59:48 PM »
Always good when doing your own thing works!   Love the fabric!

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 15:42:46 PM »
Groovy, baby! Smashing tops, Jessie.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 17:49:37 PM »
Groovy, baby! Smashing tops, Jessie.

:laughing:  Very 60's is what I thought.  And yes I remember those days! 

realale

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 11:02:21 AM »
I like your version better than the original so well done on a good save.  :thumbsup:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2021, 18:38:06 PM »
Coming up, number 3.  Why?  Well, I had no idea what to make next, I've got to make curtains very soon, so didn't want to start a big project, so one of these Vogue tops was perfect.

The decision was made when I found an odd shaped remnant from a dress, and had an idea that I could use it for another top.  It was awful to cut out, and I ended up with two pieced pieces, I didn't have enough left even for the little cap sleeves, and the front tie.

It's not great, but it will get worn in the garden...

Jessie
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 18:42:11 PM by b15erk »

William

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
Well done! I really like your eye for fabric and for line!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.