The Sewing Place

Yarn bombing

charley

Yarn bombing
« on: June 11, 2021, 20:43:38 PM »
Apparently 11 June is International yarn bombing day; the aim is to make things/street furniture etc look more beautiful. It has been going on since 2011. I did not know this interesting fact.
I noticed so many things decorated with pieces of knitting and crochet during my wander around my local town today. The more I looked the more I saw. Here are 4 photos among many that I took today.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

Re: Yarn bombing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 20:54:35 PM »
Wonderful!  I love yarn bombing.

There's a village on the coast to the north of Harlech - Llwyngwril - that has been doing this for a long time.  We haven't been there for a few years, but they used to have a wonderful, enormous, knitted/crocheted troll living under the bridge at yarn bombing time.  And there was one house that had a row of beautifully knitted baby clothes strung along the fence - I could never decide whether they hadn't quite understood what it was about, or they decided that f they were knitting it was going to be something useful!!

I found a picture of him!

There are more pictures of their wonderful knitted things here, including quite a lot of sheep.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 21:47:04 PM »
There is also guerilla knitting where knitted things mysteriously appear overnight.  Our nearest small town has an annual sheep festival and I did once think about getting some people together to knit loads of sheep and put them round the town at dead of night.
I've said it now so I can't do it!
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 22:49:13 PM »
Lovely. Great idea!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lachica

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2021, 23:17:24 PM »
One year we were in Fowey and the railings had knitted chains, the mooring bollards each had a knitted beret and the postbox had a hat. Splendid.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 00:11:41 AM »
Love that troll. Who has the time to knit all these things? It takes me like three years to finish a scarf.  :S

realale

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2021, 12:16:45 PM »

There's a village on the coast to the north of Harlech - Llwyngwril - that has been doing this for a long time.  We haven't been there for a few years, but they used to have a wonderful, enormous, knitted/crocheted troll living under the bridge at yarn bombing time. 

My friend has a caravan in this village and when we went to stay we were instructed to "look for the troll"!!
So many beers, so little time.