The Sewing Place

FabricFlop - Advice Needed

b15erk

FabricFlop - Advice Needed
« on: June 12, 2021, 13:57:51 PM »
I've had this piece of fabric for donkey's years, saving it for a suitable top.  Now I've come to use it for the second iteration of Vogue 1387 (with tweaks).

I started to lay the fabric out, but whichever way I turned the fabric, it is off grain... One side is better than the other, but that is the side where there are two very neat holes...

I have no idea where I got it from, or how much I paid, but I think I was lured by how pretty the fabric is.

Any ideas about how to use this fabric will be very well received.  The only idea I have, is to use the worst bit across the grain, and hope for the best.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 14:02:01 PM by b15erk »
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

Re: FabricFlop - Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 14:14:14 PM »
Can you remember if it was like that when you bought it? If it wasn't perhaps blowing some steam through it and gently easing it back would do the trick.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 15:18:52 PM »
What is the fabric Jessie?  It looks, in the picture a bit like cheesecloth (popular in the 70s but I never sewed with it).  Like Surestitch I was wondering about soaking and then blocking it.  It could end up a bit stretched out and you might need to take that into account when cutting and be a bit generous.
In a way it's a bit like silk in that it's impossible to get the grain to lie straight.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 16:06:06 PM »
If it was me first I’d throw it in the washing machine and see what happens.  Then steam if that doesn’t work. 

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 20:31:22 PM »
It looks like cotton, I'd definitely wash it first, but I'd plan on always air drying it, especially since you don't have enough to experiment with. Unless there's a significant amount of polyester mixed in (which would be quite likely from the 70's, 80's or early 90's) I'd expect significant shrinkage. A 35% or 50% blend would prevent that.

If the top isn't very structured, grain isn't always a huge issue, however if there is significant poly mixed in, it will probably always return to it's original shape. That could be problematic.

It's very pretty fabric. I'd cut the top with the "stripes" running vertically and hope for the best avoiding the wonkiest parts as much as possible. Quickly baste shoulders and sides together and walk around the house for a bit to see how it feels. If it's not pulling great. If it is, you may be able to use bits for accent pieces on something else. Or add a different fabric to the top you are planning to make to begin with.

Edit: looked up the top,if I saw correct one, it's quite simple and unstructured. I'd keep the lines as visually vertical as possible and try to ignore the grain and hope for the best. Sort of like hanging wallpaper on wonky walls - make it look right and try to work around "the rules".

Otherwise, the fabric will just continue to take up space. It would probably make a cute t-shirt for a child otherwise - could be donated- But I'd go for it!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 20:40:31 PM by Esme866 »

William

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »
Hello-

Maybe i am wrong, but something about this screams Boho-style bag...

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.