The Sewing Place

The etoile dress-French poetry

Tigermilk

The etoile dress-French poetry
« on: June 14, 2021, 14:40:44 PM »
Hi guys, has anyone made this pattern?
It looks really simple but so far I've struggled, the pieces all seem wrong to me!
I'm currently working on the bound sleeve and yet again the size of the pieces seems off..
Has anyone else had this problem?
I'm really disappointed because it's a lovely dress :'(

BlueCat

Re: The etoile dress-French poetry
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 16:12:12 PM »
I don’t have the pattern, but it’s a very pretty dress.
There is a video at the bottom of the order page that may help.

Tigermilk

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 23:40:57 PM »
Hi bluecat , yes I have used the YouTube video and I understand what I am supposed to do... The pattern pieces just don't seem to fit!
I have double checked and I'm sure I have cut it right  :\
I should have paid attention to the review I read that said the pattern instructions were poor! But it's just so pretty

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »
@Tigermilk , can you post pictures?  Sometimes it's as simple as gathering up one part to fit the other.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »
Did you cut the bodice and facings as shown in the video?  the facings are drawn onto the bodice so you cut out the whole bodice and then either trace or cut off the facing from the pattern before cutting them.

There are a couple of things I would have done in a different order to how she showed in the video:

1, Stabilise neckline before sewing darts - just manipulating the fabric to make the darts can be enough to cause some fabrics to stretch out.

2, Join the facing pieces before overlocking the edges - it's neater.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tigermilk

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 19:04:30 PM »
Hi Brenda,

Yes I cut the bodice pieces, then cut the facing piece out on the pattern, then cut the fabric facings. But for some reason my shoulder seams don't match in width so there's an extra roughly 1 cm on the back shoulder than the front  :boohoo: it's not like the width of the facing is 1cm so it's an odd amount!!
Yes I agree I stabilised the neckline straight away and have made the full facing piece before zigzagging the edges, much easier.

Really frustrated because on the sleeve the tab doesn't seem to fit the slit either  :headbang:

Helen M

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2021, 20:25:26 PM »
@Tigermilk Have just seen a post on Instagram from French Poetry saying there is an update to this pattern. If you used a PDF pattern you can get the update free from the site. If you got a paper pattern you need to write to them and they will send you a new one.

Not much use when you have got this far I would expect but maybe it can help somehow.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Tigermilk

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2021, 20:31:39 PM »
Oh thanks so much!!