The Sewing Place

Mother of the Groom outfit.

Tiggy

Mother of the Groom outfit.
« on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:17 AM »

Next, the jacket.  I made a toile of the jacket and it was awful.  The shoulders were too short, the armholes too deep and it just didn’t look right.  It’s a boxy style and I just think they don’t suit me.  So I chose a Kwiksew pattern of a short jacket with a shawl collar, princess seams on the front and darts in back with 3/4 length sleeves.  I’ve made a toile and it fits much better and looks far better than the other jacket.
I’m going to line it in palest pink cotton lawn.
 Now.  For a jacket that is quite close fitting, do I need to put a pleat in the lining at the back?  Not sure, hence why I’m asking the experts.
Button holes.  Will standard button holes do, or is there another method recommended?  I was wondering about corded button holes, or bound button holes. 

I have 4 weeks left to make this jacket.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 11:39:27 AM by Tiggy »
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Acorn

Re: Mother of the Groom outfit.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 09:29:09 AM »
It looks as though your attachment got deleted after being uploaded and before being posted!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tiggy

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 11:40:08 AM »
I forgot to click ‘use’….. :rant:
Janome 3800QE

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2021, 13:24:58 PM »
Baby bound buttonholes! Get my vote .Haveyou considered flat lining the jacket body and doing a HongKong finish?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tiggy

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2021, 14:19:47 PM »
Baby bound buttonholes! Get my vote .Haveyou considered flat lining the jacket body and doing a HongKong finish?

What’s the difference between baby bound buttonholes, and normal bound buttonholes?
Janome 3800QE

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 19:58:45 PM »
I can't see your jacket but personally for a close fitting jacket I would always put a pleat in the back of the lining.

Tiggy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:04 AM »
The jacket isn’t made yet, just the dress.

I’ve drafted a lining piece with a pleat, but didn’t know if I was just being a bit OTT.  Thanks
Janome 3800QE

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »
No suggestions for the jacket ( well, actually, me being me, I'd not line it, and I'd do normal machine buttonholes), but you have the same clock my parents had  0_0

Tiggy

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 09:34:28 AM »
Must be a generation thing.  The pic was taken at my mum and dads house.  I’m the tall one.
Janome 3800QE

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2021, 17:51:14 PM »
What’s the difference between baby bound buttonholes, and normal bound buttonholes?

Probably none, just  make the bind strip as narrow asposisble.- I have drunk a lottoday-sorry!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2021, 18:29:45 PM »
Smashing frock and the colour is gorgeous on you.

I'd go for bound buttonholes and self-covered buttons. Such a classy finish. And I'd go with a pleat in the lining, too, as it's a faff if you omit it but want to put it back in later.

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2021, 22:08:06 PM »
I first learnt how to do bound buttonholes when I was at school, and thoroughly enjoyed doing these.  Back then we had the heavy black Singers, and even if I was using an electric, hand crank or the treadle I was taught to go slow and count the actual stitches, so that each side had the same amount of stitches and the two ends also had the same amount stitches.  I do think that bound buttonholes and lovely buttons, even covered buttons do add something to a garment, it sort of lifts the garment into something rather different.

Why not try stitching out some sample buttonholes on some of your fabric scraps and see how you get on.

With regards to having a pleat in the lining, the answer is yes, it will just make the jacket that little bit more comfortable to wear, if the lining didn't have this pleat, then you might feel you are a little restricted with your arm movements and you do not want to suddenly hear a split as the fabric gives way under strain.

charlotte

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
Dress is fantastic!

Yes, I would definitely do a pleat in the back of the lining for the jacket - it stops it ripping at the armholes when you're taking it on and off so it is more important the more close fitting it is. I think bound buttonholes would be fabulous. You can even make them fancy shapes.