The Sewing Place

Oh no, another bloke!

William

Re: Oh no, another bloke!
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2021, 19:32:27 PM »
Greetings!

Hope you have a happy time perusing these pages - from one bloke to another...
Great job on the tees - you picked well with Patty Doo! The online tutorials are just great -
if You speak German.

I admire your tenacity and hope you enjoy it here!

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

Andymat

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2021, 20:13:15 PM »
Thanks William. Yes Patty Doo’s videos are very good. Makes everything look simple although, no,I do not understand German unfortunately.

But I do love her regal wave at the end of each one. Reminds me of our Queen Mother when she was alive.

And yes, everyone’s been very friendly and supportive. Thanks everyone!

Ouryve

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2021, 17:40:09 PM »
Hi, Andy. I've just joined, too, so saying hello from Durham.

Like you, I have found my regular machine to be quite competent with stretch fabrics. What tipped me over from "would quite like an overlocker" to "really want an overlocker" was making up a top, using some cotton double gauze, and watching it unravel as quickly as I could stitch it. I work pretty much exclusively with natural fibres and I've found my overlocker invaluable for encasing the ends of my fabric before I pre-wash it, so I don't end up with a mass of spaghetti! I'm still getting the hang of it, mind.
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Lilian

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2021, 17:44:07 PM »
Welcome @Ouryve  :drink:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Andymat

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2021, 22:23:31 PM »
Hello there @Ouryve - just down the road!

Well I’m very sure you will find a warm welcome here - just as I have.

I am very sure that an overlocker would be very useful. I am currently planning a bath robe project in towelling material and I guess that could unravel quite easily. I just hope my machine’s pseudo overlocker stitches will suffice until we manage to move as we have no room for more ‘stuff’ at the moment. Am still feeling my way at the moment.