The Sewing Place

Poppy skirt Simplicity 8128

Silver Rose

Poppy skirt Simplicity 8128
« on: June 17, 2021, 15:01:06 PM »
I have cut out the pieces for this skirt at last  :) it took ages to clear the dining table and pull out the extra leaves. I sweated a bit wrestling with 3.5 metres of fabric. Now I've got to put the table back and return the fruit bowl and vase of flowers to their normal positions. The pinning and tacking I can do sitting on the sofa but not today. Another little hurdle overcome.
Still learning

Elnnina

Re: Poppy skirt Simplicity 8128
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 15:23:06 PM »
Well done Silver Rose, you have achieved something that you couldn't have done a few weeks/months ago.  Now just take it easy with the other stages, I know exactly how you feel.  when I am cutting out, because of my back it seems to take hours upon hours just to cut a little out standing at the table, it is do a little bit and I mean little, then sit down and the sitting down is far longer than actually standing.  So go at your own pace, and when you have finished this lovely skirt you can look back with pride, thinking of just how much you have achieved.  Enjoy the process of getting back into sewing.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 14:00:46 PM »
Slowly but steadily is the way to go!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 16:01:37 PM »
I"ve found thread and a zip which are reasonable matches for the red so maybe tomorrow I can get the machine ready to sew.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 16:21:30 PM »
Did some sewing this morning, it is so good to be able to sit at the table for more than a few minutes without the pain. Getting up off the chair is still awkward as my legs are not as strong but they are improving. Next job is to press the seams and put the zip in then finish off the waist facing and gallop round the 12feet of hemline. I'm nearly quick enough for GBSB!  It might be ready to wear for my birthday at the end of the month, another picnic on the patio if the weather is OK.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »
Good to see you are making progress @Silver Rose .  It's no fun sewing if you are in pain.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 08:37:12 AM »
I pressed the seams using my sleeve board on the kitchen worktop because I can't manage to get the big ironing board out of the cupboard. Then I spent a quiet half an hour pinning up the hem and tacking the zip in place. All ready for the next sewing session now.
Another little job I am remembering to do is to sew hanging loops onto the waist facing, I am running out of skirt/trouser hangers with the clips, another reason to clear out the wardrobes.
Still learning

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 08:59:01 AM »
@Silver Rose , I ran out of hangers with clips, but I was too lazy to go back and sew loops in.  So, I used the spring clips I use instead of pins sometimes, and clipped the skirt to the bottom of the hanger.  It worked well.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 09:31:30 AM »
Hangers with clips, or Jessie's workaround, or the expanding hangers, all hold a skirt in a much better shape than ribbon hanging loops which pull the side seams up but allow the front and back to droop down, not to mention that those ribbon loops tend to poke out above the top of the skirt in wear.  I wouldn't bother sewing them in.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:59:11 AM »
When we cleared my late mother-in-law's house we found that she had 66 skirts all hanging from skirt hangers, spaced nicely in wardrobes throughout the house.  They were all made from that system where you buy a piece of fabric with the elastic shirred onto one edge, and just sew the back seam and hem.

Nothing to do with Silver Rose's skirt, the discussion of clip hangers just reminded me and I wanted to tell you!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 10:41:12 AM »
You are right @BrendaP and i am wondering how long it will be before the first loop comes undone as the full skirts are heavy. Wardrobe clear out here I come.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:22:08 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

StitchinTime

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 12:02:07 PM »
To stop hanging loops poking out above the waistband, they can be stitched parallel to the waistband. There are instructions in Lynda Maynard’s book.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=3YsllDlIV70C&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=couture+skirt+hanging+loop

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 07:38:26 AM »
The zip is in and I have sewn the hem, just the waist facing to finish.  I have ordered some lightweight wool suiting to make a winter skirt using this pattern.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2021, 13:27:01 PM »
All finished this morning, now I want warm summery weather to enjoy wearing it.  I didn't put hanging loops in after reading the good advice on here ,  at least there is room in the wardrobe now. So what's next?  :thinking:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 13:29:52 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
I have dreadful back issues so can't cut out on a table standing up.  I have tried doing it sitting down and that just ended up in a mess.
My go to methods are, for the odd bits I use the ironing board as it is a bit higher.  But being weird I usually sit cross legged on the floor on a piece of lino!  I swivel the fabric to cut out.  My issues are down the base of my spine and it just seems to work for me for some unknown reason lol
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."