The Sewing Place

Good Video or not ???

Iminei

Good Video or not ???
« on: June 20, 2021, 10:00:15 AM »
I found this Lone Star tutorial on faceache and wonder whether it is a good video to try my hand at a Lone Star Quilt/Hanging.

Im up for one that size or half that size ...

@Deafoldbat @BrendaP  @StitchinTime @Sandra @Pearl @Kenora  @anyone who has made one of these?

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

Re: Good Video or not ???
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 10:47:15 AM »
Yes, it's a good video, she doesn't waffle and her accent is quite nice to listen to.   :thumbsup:

I liked the clever way of avoiding Y-seams.  I've just finished sewing a star of Le Moyne block for the BOOM swap which has lots of them.!

How would you make a half size version?  Would you use 1.5" strips instead of the 2.5" jelly roll strips?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 18:11:42 PM »
I have no idea, I was hoping the Mathmegician of Quilting might give me an idea ???!!!

Glad to know its a good vid ... there is some rubbish out there.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 20:48:29 PM »
@Iminei That's basically how I made a Lone Star last year.

Measurements - like a square - 2" cut diamond finishes 1½" etc.

You waste less fabric if you cut the strip ends at 45deg before you sew them - use a point trimmer to make them easy to line up - and if using a jelly roll you should then get 8 sections without any problem
https://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/Point-Trimmer-R0066.html
Or offset the strips by roughly their width as you sew them together. Press carefully, (spray starch can be useful) and check the 45deg angle frequently, cutting over seams it's easy to slip off line (how do I know?).

I didn't look at all the video - does she avoid Y-seams by making wedges with triangles? Why are people so fussed about Y-seams, they aren't difficult, you just need to sew carefully - which of course we all do don't we  ;).

Have a go, just make a note of which fabric strip goes where/draw a diagram and refer to it as you go and before you make irretrievable cuts (since you haven't got a shop full of fabric at your disposal if you mess it up!). We await the results with interest... :)

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:26:19 AM »
@Iminei does she avoid Y-seams by making wedges with triangles?

Yes, she did, but as you say it's not that difficult to make a Y-seam, just stitch slowly and carefully.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 06:26:43 AM »
@Iminei, I like the Jordan videos. She is very clear and her patterns work, at least in my very limited experience. You said you wanted to make a smaller quilt with this pattern. Try this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7vb8xb8eGk

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 07:09:05 AM »
That is really clear ... Am saving it, (If I can work out how) ...Thank you xxx

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 06:58:42 AM »
So yesterday having nothing to do I thought Id give it a go ....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Its not perfect but not bad for a first effort. Also very good Value for money at 32" sq  ...
Just Nine 2 1/2" strips of width of fabric plus a bit of background ... I joined some from FQs so no problem at all

fajita

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »
What’s not perfect about it? Looks pretty good to me  :toast:

Lisalou1965

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 13:24:48 PM »
It is lovely Iminei, I still can't see the imperfections and now I have a hankering to do another of these....

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 21:58:21 PM »
Looking at it, I think the centre should have been more lime than yellow ...

Im also wondering whether this would have been a nicer/more interesting layout ...

Actually lets have a vote ...

1 ... the one I made (pic in Reply #8 )
2 ... above
3  ... below

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 22:01:31 PM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 22:01:30 PM »
Think 1 gets my vote but I also like 3.   

fajita

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 23:39:47 PM »
No 2, but with all the outers yellow as in no. 3

Lisalou1965

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 07:39:58 AM »
I love the one with the yellow points (three, i think?)

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 08:32:52 AM »
I like @fajita 's suggestion of 2, but with all the outers yellow as in 3.  I think that would give a bit of a feeling of a snowflake, particularly when you look at the thumbnails.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.