The Sewing Place

How do you resize block patterns?

Catllar

How do you resize block patterns?
« on: June 20, 2021, 21:54:25 PM »
As I said before, I'm not a block maker usually - my quilts are organic - so the block restrictions are new to me. How do you resize one if you find a pleasing patterns ? Do you just have to do the maths?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

Re: How do you resize block patterns?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 05:31:04 AM »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

RJR_38

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 06:53:51 AM »
As I said before, I'm not a block maker usually - my quilts are organic - so the block restrictions are new to me. How do you resize one if you find a pleasing patterns ? Do you just have to do the maths?

In a nutshell, yes! I can normally manage it for squares and rectangles but once it involves HSTs it is a little trickier.

I have loads of patterns for 6 inch finished blocks I think would look great for our Boom - I wish it was as simple as just doubling everything lol

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 07:21:26 AM »
I have never quilted. But I like maths, puzzles,sudoku, etc. I have probably calculated the math on 7 or 8 quilts- including fabric yardage, from pictures or drawings where the entire quilt pic is 3"x4". (Even I find this weird and you guys are the only people who know :faints:)

Even weirder, I also have an ancient copy of AutoCad so when I actually do traipse into the dark side- I'll use that - so much easier.

But, if you have access to a copier or printer, you can scale copies up on a single block until you have the size you want/need.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:11 AM »
Yes, @Catllar  you have to do the maths.

Quite often it works best for me to draw out the block full size onto paper (if it's for the 12" boom blocks you will need paper bigger than A4).   I just use a quilting ruler to get the right angles.  Then for each different piece draw the 1/4 inch seam allowance around, use a different colour so you can see it..

Once you've done that squares and right angle triangles canbe just measured, other shapes either measure the angles and do the maths to cut from strips or cut out that piece and use it as a pattern.  I have done that for a couple of the boom blocks that I've made.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 18:37:19 PM »
So I made a start today. I've divided my  finished block into 4 sections so I can play with placement.  Thanks for the help, I'm on the way!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !