The Sewing Place

What a Numpty!

b15erk

What a Numpty!
« on: June 22, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »
While I was having my clearout of the sewing room on Sunday, I came across 4 pdf's. I knew what the first three were, but the last one is a mystery.  So, to try to tidy things, I decided to cut out, and accurately lable the patterns.  The first was easy, just an overnight bag pattern, easily sorted. I moved on to the Burda Trench coat which proved to be a bit of a marathon.  I started sticking yesterday, while I waited for the Carpet man.  I got up at stoopid o'clock this morning, so thought I would carry on where I left off yesterday.

Just finished, and all cut out, but, I noticed the test square in the paper bin, and thought I would double check it.  I could have wept.  Instead of measuring up at 4", it measured 41/2"...

I'm usually so careful about printing the test square and measuring it before printing off the full pattern.

My mind is now racing, looking for quick fixes, but I think the answer will be, that I must print it again.

A random thought passed through my mind, but not sure it would work.  As Burda patterns don't have seam allowances, I wondered if I sewed without adding s/a's that might work?

Any thoughts?  Or is it to be consigned to the bin?  I'm thinking the latter... :boohoo: :'( :boohoo: :headbang: :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

toileandtrouble

Re: What a Numpty!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 12:06:22 PM »
It will be too big and distorted. If 4" becomes 4.5"  then 20" is 22.5" and 40" is 45" 
The extra amount will vary all over. So, sorry, you have to start over.  I know it is maddening. I had to redo one and it was only 4 sheets.  :boohoo:
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 12:09:33 PM »
@toileandtrouble , I know you're right, I think I knew straight away.  :'(  I think I was trying to make myself feel better...

:boohoo: :headbang: :boohoo:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
I think I’d reprint too.  You would always be wondering.  :thinking:

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 17:00:15 PM »
I'd email the pattern to a copyshop and get them to do an A0 size copy. I hate sticking A4 together.

Flobear

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 17:05:30 PM »
And if you have an inkjet and the copy shop has a laser, then you won't have to worry about spilling your  :gin: on it and the ink running  :P
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 20:06:04 PM »
Well, it's gone in the bin!  Already moved on - to another irritation.

I decided to do the Vogue top again, only I want to lengthen it to dress length.  Found the pattern easily in my newly organised pattern box.  Found some fabric I like and started to lay it out - only to find that the front flounce piece is missing! :rant:

So, spent an hour cobbling the piece together, to find that it's not going to be straightforward to lengthen it as it flares out at the side.  :rolleyes:

I'm going to walk away now, today has not been kind to me... :'( :S :rolleyes:

Jessie

dolcevita

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 20:12:16 PM »
I feel for you, Jessie. I still can't find one pattern sheet of an old Burda magazine and I know the only way to locate it is by having the mother-of-all-tidy-ups. I may manage to do without it for a while yet.

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 20:16:59 PM »
I think you deserve to console yourself with an entirely new and intact pattern.  :)

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 20:17:54 PM »
@dolcevita , I wish I had ignored the call for a tidy up! :S

It was ridiculous.  Over 8 hours on Sunday, and bin bag after bin bag going downstairs.  I was ruthless!  :facepalm:

I still have the drawers to do, so I'm bracing myself!

It looks tidy, but I think I threw my mojo out in one of the bags... :facepalm:

Jessie