The Sewing Place

Hand knitted Fair Isle hats

Celia

Hand knitted Fair Isle hats
« on: June 22, 2021, 14:53:08 PM »
Here is my latest  hat this one is knitted in Jamieson and smiths Shetland, it is surprising the difference in the feel between this one and the last one which was knitted in Jamiesons Shetland.

Ellabella

Re: Hand knitted Fair Isle hats
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 15:48:21 PM »
Beautiful, I think the cat wants one  :thumbsup:

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 19:11:11 PM »
Beautifully knitted, is that 4 ply?

I have only ever knitted one fairisle hat. It was quite a challenge for me and not as perfect as yours, but nevertheless I’m always worried I lose it when I wear it in winter!
 I have since knitted 2 simple fairisle sweaters for my granddaughter, but the hat was a trickier pattern.

Celia

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 14:00:14 PM »
Yes it is about a 4 ply but Shetland is a bit different.

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 14:35:40 PM »
Beautiful hat Celia, I do love the lovely designs that you can knit for this type of hat.

Marniesews

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 15:20:19 PM »
I don't often venture into the Yarn area but Ann's dolls tempted me in and I spotted this. I'm not a knitter and crochet doesn't seem to have the adaptability of knitting so I'm always impressed by hand knitting.

These little hats are lovely and there's something about Fair Isle that always adds a special something for me. I bought a Fair Isle jumper in Edinburgh on one of our earliest Scottish holidays in the early 70s and I loved that jumper so much I wore it out!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 16:21:46 PM »
Ooh that's lovely. I love fair isle and am in awe of anyone who can knit it!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde