The Sewing Place

It's Curtains for me!

b15erk

It's Curtains for me!
« on: June 26, 2021, 18:51:45 PM »
The time has come.  We have put the curtain rail back up - not without a blue tinge to the air... :laughing:  Why won't the man listen when I tell him what to do... :dance: :laughing:  I put the original up, and it's a queer shape, so I found it easier to work from the middle.  It only pinged off twice before he tried something different... :laughing: :dance: :laughing:

Now I have the conundrum of making up my voile curtains.  I say conundrum, because I haven't got much fabric to play with - it was a remnant and I just took what I could get, so I need to get my thinking cap on.  Fortunately, it isn't a curtain to be drawn, mainly to dress the room, but it will need curtain weights, and I think the strips will be most suitable. 

More updates on Monday...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: It's Curtains for me!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 17:34:25 PM »
Getting close to having to make these, and I know I need curtain weights to stop them blowing out of the door.  I would like to use the strip weight - sold by the metre, but not sure what weight to get.

Any ideas from you clever lot?  The weights go up: 15g, 25g, 50g, 100g,200g or 400g.  I'm pretty sure I don't need the very heavy ones, but not having used them before, I really haven't a clue.

Tbh, I saw the ready weighted voile at the fabric outlet on Saturday at only £8 pm, and it was tempting.  It wasn't as nice as the one I have though, so it wasn't an option.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:31:22 AM »
Last time I asked DH for ideas on weights, for a thin skirt hem I'd made moons ago, he came up with thin strips of lead, which until it went the way of all things that didn't fit were still there.  I took them out just in case I might need them.

So no idea what weight you would use @b15erk   I wish I'd known you could buy them but this was before internetty. 

Actually when I've looked now they were  similar to what I've  seen only mine was a skirt not a curtain :S.

https://www.the-millshop-online.co.uk/curtain-lining-heading-tape/curtain-blind-accessories/curtain-lead-weights.html
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 14:26:23 PM »
I can't find anything online about how heavy the weights should be other than the general advice that the heavier the fabric and the longer the curtains are the heavier the weights should be and vice-versa. 

The very light stuff will be for sheers and voiles and the really heavy weights for for interlined or stage curtains.  If your curtains are fairly average weight fabric, floor length and lined I'd guess at 100gms.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 14:48:32 PM »
Thanks @BrendaP , I think so to (now that you have advised!).  I just don't want the curtains blowing out of the patio doors.

Nearly finished the telephone seat, so curtains will follow...

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2021, 14:14:31 PM »
Well, fabric has marinated for a while, and I have picked it up this afternoon to see what I can do with it.

Length of fabric is 150"
Width of fabric 135" , although this has selvedges of 11"x2  so total width is 157".  However, the selvedge is not much use (I don't think)

Looking at the sums, I think I will railroad the fabric, as that gives me 15" extra fullness (7.5" each curtain)

Finished length of my curtains will be 83", so I'll have plenty length, it's just the width which will be a bit skimpy.  They are only dress curtains and not really going to be drawn - except on one side...

Reading this, it makes me think if I could cut the curtain which will never be drawn, a little narrower than the one which will...  Hmmmm :thinking:

Yes, I think that's the way to go.  Even a couple of inches will make a difference to coverage.

Sorry if anyone is bothering to read this, but it's just me thinking out loud - and my thoughts aren't always coherent.

Just off to do some more sums.

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 16:13:32 PM »
Could you add a decorative leading edge to each curtain?  Plain if the fabric is patterned or patterned if the fabric is plain.  That will get you an extra 3-4 inches on each curtain.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 15:16:34 PM »
Nothing but problems atm with this project which should be straightforward.

I woke up yesterday with a niggle at the back of my mind which was telling me to double check my measurements, and guess what, they are wrong, so I need to start again... :headbang:  At least I haven't cut into the fabric, just straightened the edges.

Then I discovered that the end stops I have for the curtain rails, are the wrong ones...  I have two types, one has no name on it, the other is Harrison Drape.  The curtain track is the old one which was originally there.  We didn't replace it, as the window wall has a difficult (for us) curve, and the Swish rail was already cut to fit.  It seems that we made the wrong choice, as I can't find any end stops to fit, either in my stash, or on the internet.  :headbang:

OH says he may be able to cobble something together, but I have little faith in his Heath Robinson approach.  :rolleyes:

Any ideas Wise People?

Off I go to start measuring - again!  :facepalm:

Jessie

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 21:30:21 PM »
@b15erk, I had similar problems finding end stops for my sons curtain rails when he moved, in the end I found some in Boyes. If you have one near you it might be worth a look.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
Progress Peeps!

Well, after double checking my measurements - they were well out - I re-calculated, and the voiles are going to be rather narrower than I first thought.  I know how the mistake happened, but I'm usually bright enough to spot that something is wrong, not this time obviously! 

@BrendaP , thanks for the nudge about a leading edge band.  I managed to salvage enough fabric from the top of the curtains to use as a 5" band, you can tell it's from the length rather than the width, but I'll call it a design feature!  :thumbsup:

@Surest1tch , no we have no Boyes near us, and the Internet isn't throwing up any solutions either.  I did manage to get extra hooks, although they are a bit tight, but just no end stops.  I guess it's the Heath Robinson approach then!  :rolleyes:

Hopefully they will be finished today, ready to hang when the carpet has been laid.

Jessie

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
Post a pic of the rail. (and measurements) I have a jar of useful bits I have saved from the past, might just have them.
I have been having problems with voiles too.  Went to buy a pair of nets for a friend.
Boyes didn't have prepacked ones but had samples hanging up,  labelled 72" 183cm.
For some reason I decided that was a panel, 72" and 183cm wide  (yes, I know 183cm =72")  :S  Reported back, now convinced I am looking for 2x66cm wide panels.  Since it is a picture window, I should think, no, 66" but...   realised it was not a panel but a sample.  Decided  to buy whole half metres, so asked for 1.5m  there were a few cm left over on the roll, so she gave me the piece.  Having trimmed the edges straight (thankfully I can still do that) measured the finished piece - a full 2 metres. Having finally sorted out my cm and inches, I went back for another 2m - she might as well have them a bit fuller.  They don't have another roll! The lad found another 72" and was going to cut it when I pointed out it was not the same pattern.
I honestly don't know what has happened to my head,  I used to be very clear on both cms and inches. Either it is the effect of lockdown, or I have heatstroke after the last few days.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 11:17:59 AM »
@toileandtrouble ,  That is so kind of you!  I couldn't add a picture of the rail as it's white on white and the sun is shining, so you couldn't see anything!  :rolleyes: But, I've taken a picture of the type and size of hook that fits the rail.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Jessie

toileandtrouble

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 11:54:08 AM »
@b15erk  Sorry, I seem to have some rail supports, possibly that type,  and one hook but no end stops.  It does look like Swish Sologlyde and Terrysfabrics has end stops for that track, £2.19 for 2. Take a look and see if they are familiar.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »
@toileandtrouble , thank you for looking.  I had a look at Terry's and they did have the Sologlyde end stops, I hadn't looked at them as they were a different style to the original ones I had, which was just a normal hook which had a screw on the bottom.  These are more of a clip on thing.  So, I ordered two.  Got to checkout and had a shock as it was £4.99 for delivery!

So, I was very naughty, looked at the details, and ordered the same from Amazon  :| :rolleyes:

Thank you so much, you made me look again, when I thought I couldn't get what I wanted.

Jessie

eta I'll let you know if they fit!  :laughing:

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 15:19:00 PM »
I looked online and found the sologlyde fitting instructions (amazing what is online!)  I remember these.  The clip fits to the track, then one of the gliders fits on the front between the two prongs, so it can't slide either way.