The Sewing Place

I suppose it could be classed as furnishings

Gernella

Re: I suppose it could be classed as furnishings
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 14:29:03 PM »
Never say never @Lowena
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Silver Rose

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 14:49:24 PM »
 @Lowena  I wish I had the patience and the talent to enter the Dark side, anyway here is the rough and ready sewing machine mat @Gernella
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Still learning

Elnnina

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2021, 15:27:48 PM »
That is just right Silver Rose, and I just love the poppy fabric - you are a clever lass!

Gernella

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2021, 19:18:13 PM »
Nothing rough and ready about that @Silver Rose and you can swap to the lemons for a change.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2021, 21:41:29 PM »
@Silver Rose The poppies are gorgeous and the effort is commendable! I've only had the " moving machine" issue once, when I tried to use my sis's Brother - and I just cut a chunk of sponge-y shelf liner to fit the underside of the machine.

Unlike @Gernella , I want the front, left side and back of the sewing surface totally empty and slick at all times. I'm truly not OCD about much, but straight pins go directly into a cushion or magnetic tray, and thread trimmings are dropped immediately into a trash can. My mom gave me hell if I made a mess when I was learning to sew!

In contrast, when hand sewing, on my favorite spot on the sofa, the sofa arm will fill with needles and pins. A habit I tend to regret from time to time when I miss a few and "find" them later.  :boohoo:

Silver Rose

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 07:16:45 AM »
Thank you  for your kind comments folks, my first reason was for having something under the machine was to protect the mahogony table. It is now easier to push away from me when I am taking out tacking etc.
@Esme866  I admit to sticking pins in the sofa arm too but they are easy to see as the sofa is cream, on the downside all the fabric fibres are highly visible.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 09:30:31 AM »
@Silver Rose Beautifully done  :D
I too was a pin in sofa arm person....
then I got cats and realised the error of my ways, otherwise known as 'this could cost a fortune in vets bills'.
I am now a 'firmly dropping pins and needles on the floor by mistake or putting them down somewhere and unable to find them again and spending hours of my life on my hands and knees looking for them' kind of person.
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 09:47:08 AM »
Thank you @Bumblebuncher when I had Cosmo  :meow: I was really careful about dropping pins but he was very wary of the sewing machine. Other cats I've had before him would sit on the table next to me and be fascinated by the needle going up and down and sometimes stretch out a paw towards the needle  :o.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 10:00:42 AM »
Thank you @Bumblebuncher when I had Cosmo  :meow: I was really careful about dropping pins but he was very wary of the sewing machine. Other cats I've had before him would sit on the table next to me and be fascinated by the needle going up and down and sometimes stretch out a paw towards the needle  :o.

:scream:
I do get their company, usually sitting immediately behind the machine, but they haven't put themselves in any needle danger yet! Although there was that one, cold, day that chonk Theo decided the iron I had on was nice and warm, luckily I noticed his head resting on it before any damage was done (the iron had started to cool down at the time) and keep an eye out for it now!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 10:47:48 AM »
I must admit I have turned into a super tidy person after I got my thread catcher, what you might call a best buy.  Previously my  MO was to just drop on the floor :rolleyes: where it went everywhere.

Holds lot of other things as well for easy extraction, little scissors, ripper, tweazers, cut off fabric bits

Esme866

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2021, 00:21:20 AM »
@Bumblebuncher Have you bought a magnetic pin tray yet! Since buying one, I rarely lose pins anymore. Until I bought one, pins would lay loose to the right side of the machine.

When I was in highschool, I received an emergency babysitting call at 5:30 am once. The nurse that lived a few doors down had stepped on a stray hand needle and its ends were sticking out on either side of her foot! So gross! I've been paranoid about stepping on one ever since.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2021, 08:29:35 AM »
@Esme866 I am alright when machine sewing, I have a magnet to hand and very careful with my pot of pins that slides into my IKEA pegboard as soon as I have finished.  Sharing the room with GS's staying over has made me a very neat sewist  :thumbsup:
My problems start when I take things downstairs for a bit of handstitching while watching tv.  Dropped needles and pins every time.  Maybe I should invest in a magnetic pin holder just for those occasions, although you can bet my cats will still manage to send it flying while doing one of their acrobatic stunt moves  :laughing:
BB

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2021, 10:07:56 AM »
I've got two of these @Bumblebuncher and I must admit very useful.  I always thought they were not suitable for computer machines but now I've been educated, they are fine. When I'm not using them I usually hide them under the machine's glass table.

Esme866

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2021, 10:51:37 AM »
@Bumblebuncher I get my magnetic bowls at a hardware store, I think they're for car parts. I've turned it upside down and shook it and the pins stayed put. Think it was also half the price of the colored sewing ones. Red would be pretty, but stainless steel was cheaper!