The Sewing Place

It's Curtains for me!

realale

Re: It's Curtains for me!
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 17:20:15 PM »
I had the problem with end stops also. I used a rubber band as a temporary measure  :| :| :| Hey, it works and who looks at the end of your curtain rail anyway?  :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 17:34:19 PM »
@realale I've done that before now!  I find as I get older I try to do it 'proper'  - and unfortunately, this time, the ends will probably be on show... ;)

I only have the header tape to do now, and a couple of tiebacks.  Fingers crossed I can keep going for a few hours... :rolleyes:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2021, 19:28:18 PM »
Finished one of the curtains, and it is up at the window, looking rather nice... Just one more to finish off - the weights have taken forever, then I decided to hand sew the hems as well.

I put the curtain up, in order to try the end stops, which arrived this afternoon - can I fit them, can I heck!  I have the brain cell of an earthworm lately (unless they are wrong of course!)  :laughing:

Going to try to get this last curtain done, and then I can hand stitch the D rings on the tie backs.

I will report back on the end stop fitting tomorrow - while OH is at work, and hopefully take some pics.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 20:00:58 PM »
Both curtains now finished - even the handsewing!!  Unfortunately, the endstops I got from Amazon didn't fit, so I'm going to try white Bluetac, not sure it will work, but I can only try.  I thought to press a lump at the back of the rail, and hope it will be enough to stop them dropping off the end!

They are hanging a bit long, I put that down to the weights, which are a bit heavy for voile I think.  So, the next time they go up, I'll move the hooks to the middle of the tape. At least they won't blow out through the patio wondows when it's drafty!

I'm holding off hanging them, because the Carpet Man is due in the next week or so, so I would have to take them down again so that the poor chap won't have them wrapping around him!

Tie backs are also done, but not too sure about the metal D rings - they have a tiny gap at the top, so hoping they won't come loose.  :S

I'm very pleased with them, but disappointed that I had to be economical with the fabric, and they don't pull as far as I would like.  Can't complain though, I only paid a few pounds for the piece.

Jessie
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 20:02:33 PM by b15erk »

StitchinTime

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 21:02:45 PM »
@b15erk i have these ancient endstops that you are welcome to have and try. The square hole is ~30 x 4-5 mm, but I’ve no idea of the make.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Lilian

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 21:13:49 PM »
@b15erk I have some welded D rings if you would like some?
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 08:53:57 AM »
@StitchinTime , thank you so much for your generous offer, but I have that type of end stop, unfortunately, my rail is a Swish brand, with a funny shaped hook - I've attached a pic.  It's very annoying as I know I have some somewhere. :rolleyes:

@Lilian , yes please!  Do you have 4?  I'm sure the stitching will pull away through the tiny gap.  Send me a PM and let me know how much I owe you for the D rings and postage and I will organise it straight away.

You girls are so supportive!  Thank you!

Jessie
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:19:16 PM by b15erk »

Lilian

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
@b15erk you can, as many as you want, I have a bag full of them - 7/8 is inside measurement and they are nickel plated.  I will upload a photo as soon as.  I also used to have swish rails and will have a look to see if I can find some end stops  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:21:58 PM by Lilian »

Lilian

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 12:36:50 PM »
@b15erk These are they

Elnnina

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 14:49:29 PM »
I know that this won't help you Jessie, but I was told a few years ago that the Swish people had stopped manufacturing the Swish curtain rails and were concentrating only on the white boarding for houses.  Therefore any Swish curtain rail products found are likely to be old stock, and this was proved when I eventually took delivery of an Austrian Blind rail with all its many bits and pieces.  The packaging from the factory was very discoloured and due to having been packed in adhesive  plastic for travelling, when it was unwrapped the original packaging a square sort of plastic all disintegrated and bits flew everywhere - I was not impressed.  The tracks  I used in my lounge and bedroom bay windows was a special type of track that Swish produced and had a metal rod through and very different fastenings, and of course I cannot get any more of these and my square bays in an old building mean I have very little space to be able put a curtain track at all as the curving old plaster and lathe ceiling curves down to the track.  These bay windows are huge and I need four widths of fabric to cover them.  I do hope you find something suitable for your curtain rail.

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2021, 15:38:51 PM »
@b15erk I have been sifting through loads of 'stuff' and came across these they are a bit painted up but it should come off easily enough.

I took them off an old Swish rail, are these what you have been looking for?  :)

Lachica

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2021, 17:38:02 PM »
I've just found this thread. @b15erk have you now got end stops? I'm sure I have curtain bits  , if you still need the stops I'll have a look see.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

b15erk

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2021, 10:47:40 AM »
@Lilian you are so kind for thinking of me, but the ones in the picture are not the right ones, I've put a pic up...

@Lachica , that would be much appreciated, I've found a temporary solution, but I doubt it will last long - double sided tape!

These are the best pics I could get, without taking the beastly things down.

Jessie

Lachica

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2021, 11:31:18 AM »
@b15erk I've dug them out. Your system is the same as mine but unfortunately there are no spare end caps in my hoard :(  Sorry ! On the plus side, I've chucked out old curtain rings from the box :) 
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.