The Sewing Place

The start of something special

Diane

Re: The start of something special
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2017, 17:33:28 PM »
Last two pics
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Diane

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2017, 17:37:24 PM »
Almost finished the 3rd block, just need to add the background and machine zigzag all around. Just need some plain fabric to put behind which I don't have so I'll need to go to the fabric shop (shame)
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Lantana

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 17:40:46 PM »
Oh that's gorgeous Diane  :flower: .... I love the colours!  <3

L :vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 17:51:27 PM »
How do you ensure that your zig zag stitches are in the right place? I can never manage it, nor blanket stitch either  :(
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Diane

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 17:56:16 PM »
How do you ensure that your zig zag stitches are in the right place? I can never manage it, nor blanket stitch either  :(

Just go really slow and make sure your needle is on the correct side when you turn a corner.

Lowena

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 18:28:55 PM »
Before that, how do you line it up with the edge of the piece to be appliqued? Mine is always all on the shape or all on the background fabric - I can never straddle the two  -<

Diane

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 18:30:52 PM »
Before that, how do you line it up with the edge of the piece to be appliqued? Mine is always all on the shape or all on the background fabric - I can never straddle the two  -<

I always make sure that the needle is on the right when I start and it's just in the background fabric.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 19:02:20 PM by Diane »

Lowena

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2017, 18:32:19 PM »
Thank you

Pearl

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2017, 19:10:49 PM »
Where are you finding these blocks, Diane?  I particularly like the third one.
You have an impressive work rate.  :)

Diane

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2017, 19:20:17 PM »
Where are you finding these blocks, Diane?  I particularly like the third one.
You have an impressive work rate.  :)

I make them up as I go along until it looks right, on this 3rd one I sewed together three jelly strips then cut them using a Dresden template, alternating the colours as I went. I used a 5" Dresden and I think it took 24 strips to get it to lie flat.

Pearl

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2017, 19:22:10 PM »
I make them up as I go along until it looks right.
:o

Diane

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2017, 19:23:40 PM »

Iminei

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
Diane, I hate to rain on your wonderful parade ...but are you actually piecing anything ???

It looks to me that what you are doing is cutting out shapes, placing them on top of a background fabric and sewing them down ... ie appliqueing them!

Which is fine to a point, but not actually P&Q ... Have you tried any of the BOMs ??
Either on The Sewing Place or Craftsy ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 06:37:44 AM »
Diane, I hate to rain on your wonderful parade ...but are you actually piecing anything ???

It looks to me that what you are doing is cutting out shapes, placing them on top of a background fabric and sewing them down ... ie appliqueing them!

Which is fine to a point, but not actually P&Q ... Have you tried any of the BOMs ??
Either on The Sewing Place or Craftsy ??

The first Dresden one I done I followed Amy Gibson and that's how she done it. She created the Dresden then applied it to a 12.5" background and stitched around it? These are only a few samples just to get me back in the swing of it, I'm aware that you make the whole block by piecing fabric together and then trimming it to make it square.

Diane

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »
It was Amy Gibson's block of the month 2012 lessons, you recommended it to me.

The Dresden blocks are actually pieced together and not laid on and appliqued, only the outer edge has been zigzag stitched on to the block.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:13:51 AM by Diane »