The Sewing Place

The start of something special

Iminei

Re: The start of something special
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 06:59:50 AM »
I realise  that (I bottled out of that one as I didn't have the templates) Have you tried any of the others ??? The Dutchmans puzzle (?) had me tearing my hair out as it came out nowhere near the 12 1/2" it should, so I added a border !

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 11:24:47 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Diane

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »
I realise  that (I bottled out of that one as I didn't have the templates) Have you tried any of the others ??? The Dutchmans puzzle (?) had me taring my hair out as it came out nowhere near the 12 1/2" it should, so I added a border !

I like that, will have a go at that today.
Thanks
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Syrinx

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »
The Dutchmans puzzle (?) had me taring my hair out as it came out nowhere near the 12 1/2" it should, so I added a border !

I always hate when that hafpens. Especially when you can't work out why. It looks like you have two different HST sizes - were the sa the same on both sizes? As sometimes that can mess it up, or the dimensions for triangles sometimes are post piecing and don't include the sa! Depends on where you get the directions and how good they are ;)

Happened to me on a hunters star I did. Resized it to 10" block. Cut everything out, thought that's looking a tad small, pieced it and measured it and added a border! Mine didn't include sa so when I resized I lost 2 inches. Still looked nice with she 1" border!

I've never done any that require templates, unless I can draw them on a cereal packet myself, because I refuse to buy the weird shapes that I'll hardly ever use.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:07:18 AM by Syrinx »

Diane

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2017, 16:22:21 PM »
Well here's my first attempt at a Dutchmans block. Measured everything several times before cutting and like yours, it has come up short? Will need to add a border tomorrow to make up to the right size block. Going to add a very small embellishment as one of my points was a teeny bit short of centre, enough to annoy me anyway.
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Iminei

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2017, 16:40:28 PM »
??? Mine looks nothing like that, maybe its another block (but defo from the same course BOM 2012)

Very nicely done whatever Diane, ...newbie to the Dark side my...hat!

Diane

« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2017, 16:49:56 PM »
When I googled there were so many variations of a dutchmans block? Just picked one and went with it. Will add the border tomorrow.
I ended up cutting it out twice as I miss read the measurements, doh

Iminei

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2017, 17:14:02 PM »
HA! its the Balkan Puzzle block!!
Sorry I misled you but you sure have proved you know how to piece very nicely!

Pearl

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2017, 16:39:24 PM »
Now, look what you've made me do!   :)

Iminei

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2017, 16:45:26 PM »
Beautiful!

Maybe you would like to make a Tut for it, for next months BOM ????

Lilian

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2017, 16:55:45 PM »
Well here's my first attempt at a Dutchmans block. Measured everything several times before cutting and like yours, it has come up short? Will need to add a border tomorrow to make up to the right size block. Going to add a very small embellishment as one of my points was a teeny bit short of centre, enough to annoy me anyway.

I made this one a few months ago!  I used an old mattress protector to practice quilting.  I overlocked the edges and it is now a little lap quilt for when I am driving  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Iminei

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2017, 17:09:15 PM »
and it is now a little lap quilt for when I am driving  :)

a 12" lap quilt ???  :o

Lowena

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2017, 17:14:59 PM »
Now, look what you've made me do!   :)

I 've just finished piecing a lap quilt with those blocks Pear, I am pleased with it  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2017, 17:18:13 PM »
and it is now a little lap quilt for when I am driving  :)

a 12" lap quilt ???  :o

Haha emphasis on "little"  I think it measures 15" but is just right to sit my sandwich or bag of crisps on to save crumbs on my clothes  0_0
Willing but not always able :)

Syrinx

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2017, 17:21:04 PM »
I knew I had a picture somewhere. The hunters star with a border because I forgot to add SA  :ninja:

https://goo.gl/photos/HqZZuRdpekdxMVJE9

I'm going to make a marquis diamond block at some point and make a mini quilt out of it :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 17:26:17 PM by Syrinx »

Diane

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2017, 14:27:02 PM »
Another two blocks done, the first one is finished, not perfect but I'm happy with it and I'm learning which is the main thing. Second one not quite finished as the background has a flaw in the stitches so need to purchase some more fabric.