The Sewing Place

The start of something special

Deafoldbat

Re: The start of something special
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2017, 19:24:24 PM »
This is a comment, Diane, not a criticism: experiment with more value (light/dark) contrast. If things blend or 'go' together too closely the overall effect of a design can be lost. If you haven't got/don't want to buy more fabric for the moment, some squared paper and coloured pencils let you try things out first.

Diane

« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 19:42:36 PM »
This is a comment, Diane, not a criticism: experiment with more value (light/dark) contrast. If things blend or 'go' together too closely the overall effect of a design can be lost. If you haven't got/don't want to buy more fabric for the moment, some squared paper and coloured pencils let you try things out first.

Thanks for the advice, I need all the help I can get really. I see what you mean about the pattern getting lost, the Dresden sunburst I'm going to have a much darker background so that will help show the pattern up more.
I can't stop buying fabric at the moment, it's like an addiction. I'm just playing around at the moment with the blocks but the next one I do I'll try having more contrasting colour.
Thanks for helping
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

wrenkins

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 20:04:36 PM »
I struggle with that as well Diane. Mine either look like soup or a chess board. I can't find a happy medium!  0_0
You're churning out blocks fit to bust and you'll learn something different with every one.
I'm learning a lot from the BOM thread and also the quiltalongathon.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!