The Sewing Place

Singer 28 found dumped on supermarket car park.

Sedalin

Singer 28 found dumped on supermarket car park.
« on: June 29, 2021, 06:48:15 AM »
Hi all,
Not sure if anyone remembers but few months ago I have found 1965 Janome machine casually standing next to the rubbish bins. I have made a post about it here:

https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=d73f8339e4632b845cae50eb186f36da;topic=12534.msg233031#msg233031

Quite lucky find as machine apart from the motor needing clean was in perfect condition - some accessories still in packaging. This is my learning machine and so far all is good.

Two days ago however I have found another machine. It was standing in the far corner of supermarket parking - right next to space where I have parked. I really do think that universe is trying to tell me something.

It's 1910 vs Singer 28.
Front slide plate is missing and I don't have any bobbins but apart from that it seems operational. I'm planning on restoring it and...keeping it forever. It's a really beautiful and having a hand crank machine will allow me to do some small projects on holidays etc.
Now I'm going to lurk around even more to see people advice on vintage and antique machines.

Machine dumped: https://i.imgur.com/ito0A5I.jpg

All the best!

Helen M

Re: Singer 28 found dumped on supermarket car park.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 09:45:37 AM »
Oh that is almost identical to the machine I learned to sew on in the late 50s. I think ours was a 128 though?? It belonged to my great grandmother who was born in the 1870s and was passed to my Mum. I feel sad now that I didn't take it from Mum's when she was wanting to get rid of it now but I had no space at the time. I found a spool when we were clearing out her flat after she passed away in 2018. Not sure if all the spools were the same?

Let us know how you get on with it.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Sedalin

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:23:51 AM »
Thanks for reply. Beautiful machine. With a bit of elbow grease (and few parts) it should be up and running. I'll make sure to post about it once I'll get around to do it.

I'm going to look for original front slide plate taken off the machine. Failing that I saw there is someone making them on eBay.

By spool do you mean this weird bobbin those machines were using? Long pin with flat heads on both sides? I don't have any. Would you like to sell yours? I'm sure 128 and 28 parts were compatible. I don't want to spend too much on parts if the machine is not working.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 10:37:28 AM »
Yes that describes the them! I'll have to dig it out and if you could check out the bobbins for your machine, not sure if they all took the same kind? You would need the shuttle that they go inside of though. I think this one was left in the bits for sewing stuff that Mum had.

There is a vintage seller Helen Howes that may be of interest to you. I think there are other threads on here as well.

Sedalin

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 10:47:03 AM »
There was shuttle in the little compartment under the machine. Bit rusty but I'm sure I'm able to clean it properly. I had really hard time to realise what it is at first. Looks like arrow tip  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:48:39 AM »
That's a lucky find indeed!

It looks to me as though it's been refurbished at some stage; the 'paper clip' design decals look like those from a 201.

Two sources for the missing bits;

http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk/index.html

https://www.sewlincs.co.uk/

Due to the nature of used spare parts both sites find it impossible to keep their websites up to date so an email enquiry is needed.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sedalin

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 10:50:53 AM »
Thank you very much for your reply. I'll have a look at the websites!
Info about it possibly being refurbed at some point is interesting too. Need to do my research.

Elnnina

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 11:10:32 AM »
Hello Sedalin, what lucky finds.  I once had an old handcrank that my daughter was able to use when she was quite young, and at some stage she managed to lose the shuttle(bobbin) cover plate, the front part, so to try and keep this safe for her to use and of course long before I had heard of Helen Howes, I found some really thick cardboard and made a shuttle cover from that and it worked beautifully,  Of course years later the missing plate did turn up.

Surest1tch

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 17:55:54 PM »
The stuff people dump is unbelievable! Their loss is your treasure and what a treasure it is  :thumbsup:

charley

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 21:17:33 PM »
@Sedalin You will find lots of help from Helen Howes. I've bought some things from her in the past, she is very knowledgable. These machines are easy to fix up and get running, the decals on your machine look in pretty good condition, but only use sewing machine oil to clean the bed and gently around the decals, so easy to damage.

charley

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 20:17:28 PM »
@Sedalin This is a before and after of the 'cleaning up' that I did on my Mum's old Singer 28. It had been in a shed, and heaven knows where else for many years, until I saw it again 6 years ago. It does work now, but looked dreadful when I found it at my sister's house. I do remember my Mum using it when I was young, and in my teens, before I left home. As you can see the decals are silvered, and gone from the bed altogether - the bed was all rust. Lots of elbow grease, metal cleaner, sewing machine oil and patience was needed. I think the cover perished over the years. 
I got a great deal of satisfaction bringing it back to life. The (low) bobbin winder is back on there, but I cannot find the photo. It dates from 1895 ish.
Your machine wil be much easier to clean up.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 21:15:24 PM »
Wow!  That's an amazing job!!   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 09:07:08 AM »
Gosh, Charley,  that took some patience and elbow grease.  Great job, it must have been very satisfying.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2021, 12:15:23 PM »
Terrific job @charley , well done.
Still learning

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
That is fabulous @charley. The wood colouring is the same as the one I learned on (belonged to my great grandmother). I always remember that on the bobbin cover it had engraved 'Patented in 1877'!  The case was the 'coffin top' kind.