The Sewing Place

HI

Bumblebuncher

HI
« on: June 30, 2021, 10:03:35 AM »
 Hi everybody from not so sunny Norfolk

Back in the day I was one of those TSF members (Panto Princess), but life threw  me a few curveballs which meant i missed this forum opening up!

Sewing has definitely been put on the back burner for a few years.  Just before the disappearance of TFS, we were informed by our landlord we had to leave our home of 20 years.  That  meant a smaller place, we managed to get a small mortgage and buy a place, but no dedicated sewing room meant alot of my stash and machines had to go!  I sent my handcranks off to charity in Africa, kept a few of the others (especially the treadle and my MIL's Pfaff 30).

At the same time I was diagnosed with an oveactive thyroid and Graves disease, which cause a number of different health problems for me.  Fortunately,  this was diagnosed before moving and I was feeling much healthier a few months after we arrived in the new house (I was actually able to move without pain as an example lol).

Then six months after moving DH was involved in a serious car accident that left him with  traumatic brain injury, he is still slowly recovering but for a while I was his full time carer, so, I had little time for little else.

I took a job locally as a carer for special needs adults just before covid hit last year, so I managed to work through the entire thing lol. After nearly five years of only very small projects, I got my machine out at the beginning of this year and finally got some ME time!
I made a leather and tartan jacket (I had kept my favourite fabrics loitering in  boxesfor years, the rest were passed on to the new pantomime wardrobe lady... my daughter!).  Then decided enough is enough.  I have a second bedroom that has bunkbeds in for the grandsons and little else (I think they are both  post TSF so yeah, I am a grandmother), got some shelves for my remaining stash to sit on, then got a few other things over a few months.

I now have a workable sewing space for the first time in years and have been working on a tailored jacket, my Mother of the Bride outfit.  The wedding was cancelled yesterday!  Anyone know what I can do with a half finished tailored jacket in very expensive (for me) fabric, with lining in a colour I don't like lol

So thanks for letting me in, hope to chat with you all soon!

Bumblebuncher
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

b15erk

Re: HI
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
A great big welcome back from me @Bumblebuncher !

Glad to see life seems to be back on track for you, and you are able to sew again.  What a pity the wedding has been cancelled...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »
Hello and welcome from the damp and grey Norfolk Broads
Triumph of hope over experience :D

fajita

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2021, 10:09:00 AM »
Welcome @Bumblebuncher  :drink: :flower:

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 10:13:05 AM »
Hello and welcome back, so sorry to hear that  you and the family have had such an awful time. I seem to remember you made costumes for school or village hall pantos near Attleborough.  Enjoy your return to sewing and this lovely place.
Still learning

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 10:14:04 AM »
Thanks all  :D
Decision made on one thing!
Sitting here taking apart the lining that I had finished perfectly lol
Going to replace it in a colour I like, not one that matches the 'not happening wedding' scheme!
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 10:14:21 AM »
@Bumblebuncher welcome to TSP.

You've certainly taken a few knocks in the last few years, I hope life settles more for you now.

As for the half finished jacket and lining in a colour you don't like - is it only the lining colour you don't like? or the jacket colour as well?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2021, 10:18:10 AM »
Hi Silver Rose
Remember you too!
Yes that is the panto, obviously didn't happen last year but DD1 took over the costumes as well as half my stash, so I do help out a bit.
BB

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2021, 10:21:54 AM »
Hi Brenda
Not that keen on the green Jacket colour either, but I can live with it lol
I have decided to get rid of the 'can't decide if it's pink or peach in a very bland kind of way' and replace it with..
'Hello there! I am definitely purple shot with hot pink and I am absolutely here!'
No time limit lol

BB

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 11:10:06 AM »
Welcome @Bumblebuncher.  Gosh you’ve had a rough few years.  Hope things are looking up for you. 
I love your idea of a lining that says hello in a loud colour!   Why does lining always have to be so boring, matching and drab?   Thank goodness we dressmakers don’t have to put up with that! :thumbsup:

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:28:52 AM »
@Ohsewsimple I love that moment when you are standing there and 'flash' the lining  :D I am not the world's most sensible dresser and love shoving in something a bit out of the ordinary.
BB

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 14:39:10 PM »
Hello and welcome Bumblebuncher, yes I too remember you from the previous TSF, also remember you had something like 20 or more old sewing machines stashed everywhere, and that you were heavily involved with making costumes for your Panto.  I also recall that one of your daughters was pregnant so it sounds as though you now have more than one grandchild.

What a chapter of incidents that has happened to you and your family in between then and now, and I do sincerely hope that you are all on the mend one way or another.  Glad to read that you are still sewing, and that now you have passed the Panto costume making over to your daughters.

I do hope that you have settled into your new home and now you have a lot of catching up on our lovely new forum – may I say that it is a wonderful forum, very friendly, and I am sure you will recognise many that were once part of the old setup.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 15:15:39 PM »
Hi @Elnnina

You have a VERY good memory   :faints:
I did have many, many machines didn't I lol
I have kept as many as possible, still got 2 Singer featherweights, a couple of 99k, The Pfaff, a singer (can't remember the model lol) in a cabinet and the beautiful treadle.
We had only been moved 6 months when DH had his accident and couldn't even remember the place when he came home!
He has just started to do some of the job we had planned on doing three years ago, luckily I am the decorator as every room was painted magnolia and I HATE magnolia lol
Grandsons are 6 and 4, the youngest is certainly an individual, I believe he has attended pre school in a tail coat and hat today, it is his latest thing lol
It is lovely seeing some of the old names on here, I'm sure I will work out some of the new names too.  I felt that callling myself something like 'handed the panto princess crown to DD1 but still do the odd bit when there is no covid' wasn't quite going to work lol
BB

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 15:31:18 PM »
Hello again Bumblebuncher, it was partly due to your massive collection of old machines that got me thinking along those lines, and of course I have been hankering after a treadle - well I have one in a cabinet, do not like the cabinet at all, but the machine inside is a real beauty and at the moment it is treadle and electric - not sure if I will keep the electrics on it as I hate the shaped like a shoe foot pedal, and after all it was the treadle I particularly wanted.  Within the last couple of weeks I have been gifted a cast iron base that is old but in excellent condition but this does not have a top, so I am looking for a top for this, if I cannot find a suitable top, then I suppose it will become a table, and I will have to continue looking for a complete treadle with machine!!!!!  Then I have another dinky little  hand crank with pretty flowers on this one, it is about 100 years old and a Jones CWS Federation machine.  The other one in the cabinet is apparently a Singer 201 and there does not seem to be any wear or scratches on this machine at all and the chrome is gleaming.

So if your grandsons are 6 and 4 then I do remember that was the eldest one that everyone was waiting for - do enjoy them whilst they are so young.  Lucky you I have only one grandchild and he is now 15 - I call him my box of delights as he really is - we have been involved in looking after him a lot during his 15 years - ours is his second home!!!

What part of Norfolk are you now in?  The only part I vaguely know is way down towards the Suffolk border.

Enjoy your new home - at least it is now yours to do with what you like, and enjoy the decorating etc, as well as the sewing when you are able.

realale

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 15:42:31 PM »
Welcome @Bumblebuncher.  You have certainly seen your share of incidents over the last few years. I hope all is now going smoothly for you.
I'm another one who doesn't settle for boring or expected  :devil:
So many beers, so little time.