The Sewing Place

McCall M6172

Sewingsue

McCall M6172
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
And Pam Howard’s Craftsy Jacket Fitting Techniques.

Now I have made clothes in the past (the far distant past – a bone-bodice evening dress back in the early 90s) and an attempt at trousers a few years ago when I found a local class, unfortunately I found it shortly before the tutor was planning to retire.

However this time I am harnessing the power of the internet to start from scratch and do things properly  :angel:

So Pam Howard – start watching – Woa! What do you mean “change the pattern” ? Seriously? Cut up the pattern and add extra seams?  ><

What have I got myself into?
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

b15erk

Re: McCall M6172
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 12:31:59 PM »
Sue, you will be fine!  The advantage of Craftsy Tutorials is that you can play them over and over, zoom in, zoom out, go backwards and forwards, and nobody groans, or moans about moving on!

You will enjoy it immensely, and if you get stuck, come on here and ask for help.  We all want you to do well, and will be cheering you on!  :)

Most of all, enjoy.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 13:10:35 PM »
A tip for Craftsy classes: watch the whole thing through first at double speed. While the double speed is obviously harder to process, if you get all the way through it very quickly then you have an idea of the entire tutorial before you start without having to spend many hours watching the whole thing at normal speed.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 12:37:13 PM »
Still here. Still working.

Working at enjoying the 'process'
Working at seeing mistakes (even stupid ones) as a learning experience
Working at seeing multiple pattern pieces as multiple opportunities to refine fit
Working at remembering that, if I do it properly, I only have to do this once and I will have a jacket pattern I can use again and again
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
I made a tailored jacket last year.  I didn't get on very well with Pam Howard but I found Alison Smith brilliant and also this book
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 17:36:45 PM »
Still working (intermittently) on the toile.
It hasn't landed in the bin - yet.
Maybe it's using calico, but trying to match the curves on all the body sections is driving me up the wall. I do understand the advantage of having several sections to get a better fit but.....