The Sewing Place

The Continuing Journey of a Giant Jersey Virgin

BrendaP

Re: The Continuing Journey of a Giant Jersey Virgin
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 22:33:40 PM »
Others have said it all.

The grey version on the model is a much finer fabric than you are using - you can see her underwear through it.  That means it will drape very differently.

It looks wider across the neck and the sleeves look longer.  Just pulling the sleeves downwards will force the neckline upward a bit.

She probably does have several pins and clips hiding behind her.

The big name branded patterns are more consistent on sizes than smaller indies, especially a Japanese one.  Also you are more likely to find real life examples of it on Pattern Review.

A Japanese pattern may well have started life as a very tiny size and the grading up could have enlarged the neckline more than it should have done.  It's well known that patterns graded  up to large (western) sizes have necklines that are too big.   Compare someone with a 32" bust and someone with a 46" bust.  Around the boobs the measurment is 16" difference, but around the neck it's maybe 2" difference.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 06:56:58 AM »
Thx Everyone, I might try and attach that bit of leftover and see if I can rescue it tho' it was only ever going to be the toile.

As to sewing the Jersey it went fine...

Microtex needle ... check!
Walking Foot ....... check!
Overdedge foot .... check!

I don't think I overstretched the neckline, thats how it was cut, I didn't even think that it would come out soooo low!

I just wish I could do something with the meagre amount of blue I have, just a boxy T shirt or something  ><

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 08:28:34 AM »
As an absolute beginner I wanted something small and simple to start so I bought McCall's 6963 and 6964. I reckoned there were enough neckline and sleevie options to get something to suit. The largest amount of fabric used in any of the options is 1.4m in the long sleeved cowl.
You might get something for your blue stuff there if you just want an everyday thing.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Francesca

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 12:14:38 PM »
That neckline looks incredibly low to me!

I would cut it more like this. If it ends up too high, you can trim it to the shape you like once made up. As you've learned, you can't add fabric back that isn't there!

Catllar

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 20:35:54 PM »
I was going to say the neck might come in a bit when it is bound but I don't think that will be anywhere near enough - you little minx you! Mine was the same ( jersey linen fabric) and I "fixed" it by shoving a pleat into the neckline off to one side to further exaggerate the  wonkiness of the whole thing.  Not my favourite, but wearable.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lachica

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
A couple of years ago I made something similar from a StyleArc pattern. Intriguing design, it looked b...y awful on me. There's a reason these things are shown on anorexic 6ft models.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.