The Sewing Place

Beginner t-shirt template

Emerion

Beginner t-shirt template
« on: July 05, 2021, 11:07:55 AM »
Hello,
I’ve got a t-shirt in an unflattering colour, which is a lovely cut and fit. I would like to use it as a template to make more t-shirts. But as an inexperienced sewer, I’m wary of those YouTube videos, which suggest that you can fling together a garment from a template like this, and end up with something you’d actually want to wear. Does anyone know where I can find a guide to how to do this that might produce a good t-shirt? Thanks very much in advance.
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Beginner t-shirt template
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
If you’re unlikely to wear it, carefully take it apart at the seams and use it to make a pattern.

This is a simple tutorial using your existing t shirt as a pattern.

https://youtu.be/ApUoQpcHLz8

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
Most tee shirts rely on the stretch of the fabric for fitting, so precision isn't as vital as with non wovens.

However, I would suggest sacrificing the existing garment and cutting along the seams rather trying to trace from it intact.

The other thing to be aware of is bias in the fabric.  That's something which affects a large percentage of knitted fabrics and is more noticeable when stripes are concerned but you really want to start with a symetrical pattern.  If you carefully cut the existing garment apart and then fold each piece (back and front) down the centre you will know if that garment has skewed and your new pattern should be half way between the two edges.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Helen M

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
@Emerion, I recently watched this one from Seamwork as I get emails from them. It's a recent one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLQK-47bGQ

They stress to check the amount of stretch and type of fabric of your T shirt and compare with the stretch of the fabric that you want to use. I have 2 that I want to try to copy so bookmarked the video.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Emerion

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 13:29:26 PM »
Thank you all, I think I will have a go at unpicking it when I’ve got some comparable fabric.
Machine: Singer 99K 1954
Ability: Plenty of room for improvement

William

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 13:11:40 PM »
I have made a few shirts in this way, by using another shirt as a template.
It can work well, bet do not forget to add seam allowances when you cut the new fabric,
otherwise the new shirt will be too small ( i know this from experience...)

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.