The Sewing Place

Small upholstery project

b15erk

Small upholstery project
« on: July 05, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »
Last week I started to upcycle an old Oak telephone seat (I know! That's really old!), to fit under the stairs. 

All went well, and it painted up nicely.  Just needed to seat done.  I found a piece of fabric in the stash, but 6" too short, so we went out on Saturday to buy more.

I got two lots of fabric, both nice, but only one was The One.

Did the seat on Saturday afternoon, and it went on beautifully. 

Sunday, however was a different matter.  The fabric did not like going around the curved back.  I took it off three times before deciding to cut another piece.

I had a bit of a re-think, and decided to put some foam backing on, and add some temporary glue.  No better.  I'm thinking of throwing the towel in and making a cushion to cover the awful creases which happen when I try to smooth the fabric down...

Any help out there?  Please... :boohoo:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: Small upholstery project
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 11:32:02 AM »
@b15erk  I think that the seat is looking good because it has tension all around, but the (unfinished) back piece doesn't.

Join the backing, or whatever fabric is to be attached to that raw edge, an pull it tight all round.  You might need another pair of hands to grasp on the width of that piece, but I'm sure it will look much better when tensioned. 

It's the dressmaking equivalent of pressing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:54:18 AM »
Thanks @BrendaP !  I've lost count of the number of times I've taken it off, and it does that every time.  The fabric has no 'give ' in it whatsoever, and on the curve it, I just can't get it to hold straight.

It looks fine until I try to push down and then it sort of 'bubbles' then creases as I push it down.

I will give it one more go, and attach to the foam before stapling to the seat back, as you suggest. 

I have never had this problem before.

It would definitely be easier to do if the back could be removed, but we can see no way of getting it out without damaging it.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 13:56:29 PM »
Well, I removed the back piece and the backing, yet again.

Used 404 spray to hold things in place, and pressed it flat before fitting.

Stretched, staple, stretch, staple ad nauseum.  Stand back and admire - and the blessed thing is still pulling!!  :rant:

I fitted the seat back, and tbh, I don't think I'm going to get it any better... :'(

I'm going to leave it as it is, put the studs on (when they arrive), and see how I feel about it.  If I can't live with it, I will go and get more different fabric... :rolleyes:

I just love this fabric, and unlike the picture, the blue is a beautiful royal blue.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Jessie

realale

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 14:32:42 PM »
Erm, @b15erk , it looks absolutely fine to me!! Remember my motto is 'near enough is good enough'!! I suggest you finish it, leave it for a while and then see if you can live with it or if it will bug the life out of you. Odds on you won't notice it after a while!!
Love that fabric though.
So many beers, so little time.

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 14:43:24 PM »
Oh @realale , thank you!  I love that fabric too!  I was a bit foolish - it was only £2pm, and I only bought 1mtr, so I can't give it another go until I buy some more...

I'm sure it will drive me mad for a while, but then I'll find something else to bother me!

We'll see!

Jessie

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 23:35:46 PM »
@b15erk it looks absolutely fine to me but if your determined you really aren't happy with it, had you thought about making a design feature out of the creases by adding a few more if you can get a bit more fabric to match?

Esme866

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 02:46:21 AM »
What you are doing at the moment was what caused me years of unsatisfactory upholstery results. Finally, I needed to redo my Camelback sofa with rolled arms and I asked my Mom to come help.

It took literally less than 10 seconds for me to see what I had been doing wrong for years.

I kept trying to "stetch" the fabric to fit the item - much like stretching a canvas for a painting. That is not how it is done.

The fabric must first be "trained and coaxed" onto the item. Once the fabric is trained into place - with no puckers - only then do you tighten (pull) into place and staple or tack.

From the looks of the chair in the photo, it seems that the back was not originally upholstered, as there is no padding covering the wood. You always want some padding between the wood and the upholstery fabric to prevent the fabric from wearing too quickly.

The back first needs to have a backing to hold the padding in place. This is typically done with jute webbing that typically comes in strips approximately 3-1/2" wide. These strips are stapled into place extremely taut. There is a special tool made for this, but I have done this without the tool, or you can make one with a chunk of 1x4 and a few screws. Then a layer of foam or wadding is placed on the back. 1" foam would probably be good for this. Then, over the foam is a layer of polyester batting, made specifically for upholstering.  For the rear back, I would probably first staple a layer of non-stretch heavy poplin or denim into place and add a layer or two of quilt batting.

After all of the padding is in place, then the fabric is placed on the back and you begin to "train" the fabric by repeatedly smoothing the fabric with your hands. You would start center back and work to the outer edges by radiating the movements equally around the back. I hope this makes sense.

To understand the movement, try to smooth a pair of trousers over your leg using the palms of your hands.

Now that I've tried to explain this verbally, it occurs to me there is probably a YouTube video that would better demonstrate :headbang:

I'll take a look.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 09:28:32 AM »
@Esme866 , thank you so much!  The back is upholstered, but I am having to cover over the old upholstery.  To even things out, I eventually used foam (which I use for bags), and 404 glue.

It is rather better than it was, but I do think it would have been better still, had I been able to remove.

Your description of the movement required to smooth the fabric is perfect, and is what I was doing (my wrists are sore this morning!).  It is pretty much a bit make-do, but unless I can get some more fabric to have another go, it will have to do.

Jessie

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 09:50:28 AM »
I know you said you've used some foam, but would more/thicker foam help? 

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 10:28:39 AM »
@Bodgeitandscarper , thanks so much for your input.  I just used the foam I had, but I imagine I could double it up... It's a bit difficult, as it's a very small space to work in, and it may make the seat a tighter fit - it's already very snug!

I will try any and all suggestions when I get more fabric, as I'm not happy with it as it is.

Jessie

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
Just a thought @b15erk could you incorporate some small pleats to get it around the curve?
Willing but not always able :)

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 11:14:22 AM »
@Lilian , I did try the pleats, but the they didn't look nice.  There is a black raised design which stops the pleats looking even.

I am going to finish it for now, as is - warts and all, but as soon as I am able to get back for more fabric, I'll give it another go.

Jessie

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 11:17:23 AM »
Shame the pleats didn't work. I am sure you will get it to fit eventually.
Willing but not always able :)

justpottering

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2021, 19:49:52 PM »
Bumping this because I’m curious to know if you found a solution @b15erk ?

One thought I had was to ask if you cut a straight piece of fabric right length and width etc for the back? I would have taken a large piece of fabric (bigger than the area to be covered)attached it temporarily in all the right places then if happy cut to size and attach properly

It might look as if a straight piece of fabric will cover it but I think it would be more of a crescent shape with straight sides if that makes any sense? Don’t know how else to describe it??? But I would start with a large rectangle piece personally and fit it according to the shape of the back area which would be crescent shape IMO

Hope you managed to get some more fabric xx
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 19:51:23 PM by justpottering »
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea