The Sewing Place

New Janome purchase

Butterfly

New Janome purchase
« on: July 06, 2021, 18:28:00 PM »
I ordered myself a new Janome 5060QDC  :sew: this morning and it's being delivered tomorrow  :dance: I have tried to do some free motion quilting and applique on my Janome J3-24 which is several years old, but when using my foot pedal it was either to slow or too fast, and despite attaching a block to the back of the pedal to try and regulate the speed, I haven't been able to attain any consistency. As free motion is difficult enough to master, I'm hoping that if I can set the speed, and not have to use the foot pedal, it will be one less thing to think about and hopefully will make a big difference. Also I wanted I wanted a wider range of stitches for applique work.

I'm retiring again (for the 2nd time  :rolleyes:) in a few weeks, so today over my morning cuppa I decided that as I haven't been anywhere or done anything for the last 18 months, it was time I had a treat, and this is it! To say I'm excited is a bit of an understatement lol.

Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Helen M

Re: New Janome purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 19:31:54 PM »
Good on ya!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 21:10:55 PM »
Enjoy!  You don't have to justify new machine purchases here  :laughing:

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 21:56:10 PM »
There hasn't been a lot to make us happy during the last 18 months or so, I say if it's made you happy good on yer

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 23:48:25 PM »
That’s what money is for, making you happy!

I hope you get lots of pleasure from your new machine.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 04:50:31 AM »
Im a Janome Girl and, Tho' Ive not had experience of this particular machine, must say that as a make they are brilliant!

Please dont justify, just enjoy!  0_0
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »
Well done do let us know when it arrives even pictures might be good, need some good news

Butterfly

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 13:00:12 PM »
Thank you all for your replies, I knew you'd understand  ;) My new machine arrived at 8am this morning  :thumbsup: brilliant service from Frank Nutt! Sadly I only had time to take it out of the box and make sure all the relevant parts were there, and a quick skim through the instruction book before I had to prepare for work, so I think the proper test drive will have to be this weekend.

I'll post my review, and if I can work out how to post proper sized pics, will do that too.

Happy sewing all  :)
Creativity is contagious, pass it on

Celia

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 13:19:39 PM »
Brilliant glad to hear it’s arrived safe and sound. Frank Nutt is a very good dealer.

Ploshkin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 16:53:13 PM »
Sounds good.  If you can set the speed where you want it I would still use the foot pedal but you know that you can put your foot to the floor and the top speed will be limited.  It means that you can start off slowly for the first couple of stitches with both hands on the fabric and get a smooth start then put your foot to the floor.  If you are using one hand to press a start button it will take off at the maximum set speed and you will only have one hand on the fabric.
Life's too short for ironing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 19:21:13 PM »
Good for you @Butterfly - sounds very tasty!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 19:36:32 PM »
@Ploshkin  ... I thought with the speed limiter and the stop start button, it started off slow for a few stitches and then sped up ???!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 20:07:08 PM »
Oh, I don't know, perhaps it does @Iminei  I still prefer to have both of my hands on the fabric when I'm quilting whether its fmq or non fmq so I don't ever use the stop / start button (  I only use it for bobbin winding)
Life's too short for ironing.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »
Oh how exciting. I'm looking forward to buy a new machine after I move. My first machine, a give from my mom, is a Janome. Still going strong 20 years later.

Bill

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2021, 22:11:30 PM »
@Ploshkin  ... I thought with the speed limiter and the stop start button, it started off slow for a few stitches and then sped up ???!!!

Don't know about the janome but my brother works like that. I do prefer using the pedal though because using the button start, once up to its set speed it stays at that speed. With a pedal I can slow the stitch speed right down to snail pace when needed (frequently in my case).

Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things