The Sewing Place

Machine Weight/body strength

Gernella

Machine Weight/body strength
« on: July 08, 2021, 13:31:04 PM »
I had a bit of shock a few months ago when I was selling my Select 4 and was studying an unpacking video to remind myself how it was packed.  What got me was the young lady pulled the machine out by the handle with one hand and held it up in the air., around 8.5kg.

Yesterday I was watching a video of something being made which I was doing and just checking I had the right idea without going to the trouble of buying a pattern.  What fascinated me was that at various stages she just grabbed hold of the machine (a medium size one) and either pulled it to her or pushed it away.  The only way I could do that is with a mat underneath and she didn't have a mat.

I think I have become puny.  If I pick a machine up I have to concentrate on it (get myself prepared in my head).  I know if I shift the Mega Quilter, around 16kg, I find it easier to get both hands underneath it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

HenriettaMaria

Re: Machine Weight/body strength
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 16:00:52 PM »
I was told most emphatically at the weekend that women should be moving weights around, ultimately aiming for 24kg.  24kg!  Never gonna happen, thought I, but I can absolutely see why she said it - strength is really important to health as you get older and moving iron around mitigates bone loss too.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 16:09:04 PM »
I certainly don't move my Megaquilter around without giving myself some warning!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 16:09:45 PM »
I was told most emphatically at the weekend that women should be moving weights around, ultimately aiming for 24kg.  24kg! 
                 @HenriettaMaria  :scream: :faints:

Well it is easier if the load is evened out, my bottom for my Daylight Lamp weights 7.5kg over a space of maybe 10 by 8 inches.  That is a heft and appears to weigh much more.
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 16:33:04 PM »
I can pick up and carry my  Brother machine in one hand.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2021, 19:52:01 PM »
I can pick up both my Pfaffs @Lowena  but I wouldn't want to go very far with the larger one.  Picking up from standing is a bit different from moving sat down and not on a mat, and I certainly couldn't pick up sitting. 

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 21:00:24 PM »
Most modern heavyweight domestic machines seem to be around 20-30 lbs - 9-12Kg with Brothers being a bit lighter than most. 
https://sewingiscool.com/how-much-does-a-sewing-machine-weight/#tab-con-7

The old cast iron singers are about 35-40 lbs - 15-18Kg.  I can just about pick my 201 up with one hand but I wouldn't want to carry it anywhere with only one hand, and I wouldn't trust the hinges on the case.  Best to move the machine by putting both hands through the harp space, and then move case and accessories separately.  The aluminium 201 is a bit lighter and I do occasionally move that (a few feet) with the case and holding the case handle.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ouryve

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 17:21:28 PM »
One of the factors when I bought my current machine is being able to move it without injuring myself as I'm hypermobile and things often give way when I'm not expecting it and I don't have a dedicated sewing space since my husband started working from home, last year.

My overlocker is a different story. I can move it but I try not to!
Janome M50QDC - "Jane" - Small, cute and hard working. Pfaff Quilt Ambition 630 - "Pfanny" - Pfickle. Bernina L450 - "Bernie" - Very hungry. Bernina 830 Record - "Becky"

Mr Twingo

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 19:49:11 PM »
I have no problem moving any of my modern machines, and could probably life them with one finger. My Singer 96K40, on the other hand, is another matter; despite it's small size, it's surprisingly heavy, and I struggle to pivot it into, or out of, it cabinet.

But that is nothing compared to the Juki DLU-450 I'm currently restoring. To move it just a couple of feet takes all my strength, and I have to lock my arms into 'fork lift truck' position before sliding them into the throat/harp of the machine.

The darn thing will give me a hernia before the summer's out.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »
According to the web, my A150 comes in at around 6.6kg which I can easily lift. But not with my arms out in front of me, and lifting into a certain position on the table is all but impossible for me. My shoulders are knackered. I have to lift it onto said table then shove it around to its final position.
One reason I made myself a permanent sewing area in my bedroom. It stays put  :)
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 11:56:26 AM »
I googled The Splurgess and it came up with 10.2kg !!! All I know is that its heavy!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 12:05:26 PM »
I googled my machine...a Brother , which I can lift quite easily. It came up at 11.5kgs.........go me!!!  :perfect10:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lachica

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 13:52:36 PM »
 :S my Pfaff Creative weighs 9kg apparently. I can lug it around, from a car park, through a shop & up a flight of stairs, but I wouldn't want to do that frequently.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 13:58:28 PM »
I got used to lugging machines around when I was at the shop.  But there were some I wouldn’t pick up.  Usually got the engineer to carry them out. 

toileandtrouble

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 14:03:53 PM »
My big Pfaff is 15.6kg.  I only move it when I must.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m