The Sewing Place

Oh no, another bloke!

Andymat

Oh no, another bloke!
« on: July 09, 2021, 16:34:08 PM »
Hi, I’m Andy and although originally from Surrey, I currently live in South Tyneside in the North East of England. Moved up here to work for Flymo a long while ago now.

A while ago a friend gave me her old quite basic Jones (I think, is that a make?) sewing machine which I could never make to work properly, didn’t have any instructions for and I probably wasn’t threading it right. So that went out.

My mother was a reasonable sewer and I remember had a yellow Bernina Record when we were young. In the 80’s I think, she got this Pfaff creative 1471 and when she died I took it on temporarily only, as Dad wanted it to go to someone that could make good use of it (!).

I have been using it to mainly to do repairs on jeans but with the sewing bee on the television I have been inspired to do a bit more. I recently made a laundry bag out of some strong canvas material from a pattern in a readers digest book about sewing (from mum) and I now know what a french seem is.

I thought I would try making some clothes, so as a start, I have just finished a pair of T-shirts from some double knit material as I read somewhere that was the easiest for beginners. Got the pattern from Patty Doo in Germany for what seems to be a simple Raglan sleeve design. I ordered 1m of each of red and grey and have done a ying and yang thing with the arms and the bodies.

I’m pretty pleased with how they have turned out although I had problems with the cutting out. On one I cut two fronts and didn’t have enough material to cut another  back so I had to add a piece in around the neck at the back. On the other, having cut out the arms in the grey, when I later came to cut the bodies of the second shirt in grey, I didn’t have enough material in the right places to get both sides in one so I have ended up with a back in two pieces. But some good learning there! But I am pleased with the results.

I am planning to make a hoodie in sweatshirt material soon as then I can get the fit, colours and the design that I want and not just what is available. Win win.

The machine is great with many overlock type stitches amongst others but I initially didn’t know where the stretch stitches were that I apparently needed for sewing jersey. Getting there now. Not sure how often mum serviced it but it would be 20 years since it was used last before me, so I found someone locally who came to look at it, sprayed inside with some lubricant and told me to change the needles. Will see how it goes but I might need to pull it apart to see if I can replace one of the buttons that does not work at the moment. I’m told there are not the parts for old electronic machines nowadays.

I am pleased with my T-shirts, they feel a better material than you buy in the shops and I’m quite excited to do more. And I am pleased to find somewhere like this to hopefully help me along. Hope to be able to contribute too, perhaps in time!

Andy

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Oh no, another bloke!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 16:47:11 PM »
Hello, good afternoon, and welcome.
Well done with the t-shirts, stretch jersey isn't the easiest thing to sew.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 17:02:11 PM »
Hello and welcome @Andymat ,well done with the t-shirts and for getting the most out of your fabric.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 17:40:29 PM »
Welcome @Andymat  Your t shirts are looking good.  There are plenty of people here to advise and tempt you.  I bet you didn't know that you actually need several sewing machines  :devil:
Life's too short for ironing.

bec

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 17:41:40 PM »
Welcome @Andymat ! Well done with your projects so far, I'm sure we'll all be very interested to see the hoodie too.  :D

Andymat

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 18:21:42 PM »
Welcome @Andymat   I bet you didn't know that you actually need several sewing machines  :devil:

Well no I didn’t.

Another answer would be, “give us a chance! I’m only just getting to grips with this one”.

And a third one would be, “no but in my research, I found that no one uses a sewing machine to make T-shirts. Apparently you need an overlocker. And then I found that you also need a cover stitcher machine.  And I thought I was all set up with my mother’s wiz-bang machine!”

Gernella

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 18:51:57 PM »
Wow @Andymat a positive expert by the looks of it.  Welcome, and yes you may need another machine, even if you haven't thought about a second one now.  We are a real bunch of enablers. :devil:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Andymat

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 19:01:09 PM »
Wow @Andymat a positive expert by the looks of it.  Welcome, and yes you may need another machine, even if you haven't thought about a second one now.  We are a real bunch of enablers. :devil:

Thank you @Gernella. As my mum used to say, “flattery will get you everywhere”.

I haven’t told you about all the other mistakes I made! And the pictures hide everything.

Not sure where the next machine will go. I have to clear the dining table every time I want to use my current one. Perhaps I will need to move to a bigger house.

Greybird

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 19:17:07 PM »
Hello and welcome!

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 19:19:29 PM »
A big welcome from me too @Andymat - your T shirts look fab!

I have a Pfaff 1475 cd which I've had from new (many moons ago), and it is one I still use daily.  It's an amazing machine, and second hand ones still fetch good prices.

I would talk nicely to your dad if I were you...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Flobear

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 20:10:57 PM »
Welcome @Andymat . We don't recognise our mistakes  :o   they are Learning Opportunities  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Andymat

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 20:11:42 PM »
A big welcome from me too @Andymat - your T shirts look fab!

I have a Pfaff 1475 cd which I've had from new (many moons ago), and it is one I still use daily.  It's an amazing machine, and second hand ones still fetch good prices.

I would talk nicely to your dad if I were you...

Jessie

Sadly, Dad is no longer with us either, so I’m hanging on to it.

As he got older he started shrinking but liked his grey Craghopper Kiwi trousers (lightweight poly-cotton outdoor trousers). And I used to take them up for him in the legs so that he didn’t trip over. It was particularly badly done mainly because they tapered to the bottom and I when I turned them up inside the new hem material was a smaller diameter than the material I had to stitch it to - and it didn’t stretch! Still don’t know how to cope with that situation.

Andymat

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 20:13:42 PM »
Welcome @Andymat . We don't recognise our mistakes  :o   they are Learning Opportunities  ;)

Yes. That’s how I like to see it too. I have learnt a lot with the T-shirts!

Helen M

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 20:40:20 PM »
Hi @Andymat and welcome.

Where in South Tyneside are you, an exiled Geordie is enquiring!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Andymat

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 20:47:37 PM »
We are in Boldon.