The Sewing Place

Oh no, another bloke!

Andymat

Re: Oh no, another bloke!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2021, 19:24:38 PM »
Thank you for this. Unfortunately I am not on Facebook but if I really needed help I guess I could work something out.

I am a little worried because, as I said, one of the buttons doesn’t work. Thankfully at the moment it is not a great issue I suppose it might become annoying as I progress. I think it is just a switch that needs replacing on the printed circuit board which I am sure I could manage but do not want to break something else at the same time!

Cazlyn

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2021, 20:10:34 PM »
Hi @Andymat welcome to the forum.  Your T-shirts look great, I’m glad you’ve discovered the wonderful world of sewing - enjoy
Crafting is my happy place

Andymat

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2021, 20:21:53 PM »
Thank you.

There seems to be a lot of animal lovers on here! Which is good. We have a Springer Spaniel called Millie.

Come to think of it, perhaps that would be a good name for a new Singer machine. The Singer Spaniel!

Iminei

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2021, 22:03:23 PM »
Springer Spaniels are as mad as a box of frogs which is exactly why I like them so very much ... altho' Im a cat person through and through !

We do have a pet thread.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Esme866

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2021, 05:40:11 AM »
@Andymat You mentioned the button not working enough to make me curious what kind it is. Those would work much like a computer keyboard key, wouldn't they? Just wondering if maybe a spider may have crawled in and died so that canned air might work/help.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
hi @Andymat beware the enablers... but you do need an overlocker  ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Andymat

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2021, 19:53:19 PM »
@Andymat You mentioned the button not working enough to make me curious what kind it is. Those would work much like a computer keyboard key, wouldn't they? Just wondering if maybe a spider may have crawled in and died so that canned air might work/help.

There are three rocker buttons on the right of the machine +/-. The first does the stitch width setting, the next the length of the stitch and the last one is to adjust the skew of the wider more fancy embroidery stitches. This works to increase the skew but does nothing when you try to reduce it. So to get back to even, you have to change the stitch program and then go back to it.

When you press any of the rocker switches, there is a definite feel that you have pressed it, like, as you say, a keyboard. I do know from a you tube video that the buttons are pressing onto switches on a printed circuit board inside the machine.  I just think one of the switches is just not making the contact properly but to find it , I will have to take out the board.  Probably not too much of an issue. As you say, it might be just dust or fluff but at the moment it is not that much of a deal. So I will prob wait till it becomes more of an issue. Or I might get some advice from a dealer. We will see.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lilian

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2021, 22:20:06 PM »
Welcome from me too @Andymat  :drink: :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 17:01:31 PM »
Or I might get some advice from a dealer. We will see
Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome to TSP @Andymat.
To be honest I doubt if a dealer would give you any advice other than to have the machine serviced. 
They would want the business for one thing.  I worked for a dealer and we wouldn’t give advice in case anything went wrong etc.  and they got blamed. 

Andymat

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2021, 17:10:03 PM »
You have a point!

Bill

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2021, 11:25:08 AM »
Welcome to tsp @Andymat
You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer bunch of folk on the tinterweb than here :)

Good work on those t-shirts. I'm jealous :D
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Diane

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2021, 14:31:48 PM »
Helloooooo @Andymat Welcome to TSP........don't forget to visit the darkside  :devil:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

KayK

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2021, 16:23:37 PM »
Bit late to the party here, but welcome @Andymat - very impressed with the tee shirts - I've been sewing for 50+ years and the thought of one of those makes me quake, and yes, I do have an overlocker!

Yes, we are a fab group of enablers, listening ears and helpers, and you do need to start a stash!

enjoy!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

The Frenchie needle

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
Welcome  :thumbsup:

Sara-S

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2021, 10:55:28 AM »
@Andymat welcome!  I am impressed by your ability and willingness to improvise.  (Covering my mistakes is something I consider an art form.). Enjoy your descent into madness journey into sewing!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:44:24 AM by Sara-S »
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.