The Sewing Place

Thinking of new Bernina machine!

Bumblebuncher

Thinking of new Bernina machine!
« on: July 10, 2021, 07:44:38 AM »
I have a Bernina Activa 135s that is obviously now past it's prime.
I have been looking for a new machine so I can pass old girl onto DD1.
Having been looking for a while I have come to the conclusion that I really do love Nina and have bought just about every attachment over the years, I think I have had her around 15 years, so that is a lot of money on Bernina attachments!  We sat the other night and realised it would cost £100's to replace them all with another makes versions.
I have looked at other makes but see nothing that makes me yearn lol So generally want to stick with a Bernina.
I tend to do just dressmaking, although I have a vintage Pfaff 30 for leather sewing. Not much need for the bells and whistles type.
Any thoughts on the difference between 335 and 325?  Or is it the 435 worth the extra?
I have been pondering this for a while now but DH is unable to give an opinion, need to make a decision lol Need some input!
HELP!
BB

As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

KayK

Re: Thinking of new Bernina machine!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »
I have a little Bernina Activa 220 which I paid £180 for a short while ago, mainly used for taking to classes and it is an absolute little gem. A couple of my classmates have bought new the 325's which are very, very similar to the Activas.

It depends on what you want/need to sew.  I purchased a Bernina 475QE last year, a lovely machine, but the biggest mistake for me was not having enough space to the right of the needle, as I do a lot of large projects. I also found the 'scissors' button was in a very awkward place, and also found it a bit 'too clever' as it automatically set tensions etc, which I wanted to do myself! (I did sell it!)

I would say the 435 is worth the extra, the touch screen is rather good, and all your feet will fit.......but have a try if you can, as the jumbo bobbins and threading are slightly different, and if you dont get them EXACTLY right they play up!

Good luck with your decision!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2021, 13:28:49 PM »
@KayK Thanks for the input.
I'm lucky to have a Bernina dealer nearby so will go and have a test run.
The indecision on how much £ to have available before the visit is the main issue at the moment, Waiting for a £500 bonus to arrive in my pay packet but now becoming impatient lol
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2021, 15:10:53 PM »
I had a little Activa 215 of around 10 years, lovely as it was as the spare it was very basic, and while I did consider swapping initially to  the 325, it did not have enough to entice me or did it have the IDT which I craved.  So that was swapped (for a really good price and bought a Pfaff Passport 3. For a main machine I'd up the ante to the best you can afford @Bumblebuncher even if it means waiting.

Very exciting though, a new machine <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Elnnina

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 15:12:37 PM »
Bumblebuncher if you can get hold of the booklet Bernina Accessories - solutions for your ideas,  available from Bogod's  Cardiff  warehouse (their phone number is 029 2079 2079) and inside the front cover of this are groups of Bernina machines by their numbers, and are grouped by A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H.  So for your existing machine the Activa 135S you come under the letter B.  Then all the pages that show the different feet and accessories have  given the groups that the feet are suitable for.  You would find this extremely helpful I am sure, and then you could tell which machine you can use these existing feet and accessories for.  This booklet is free or it was when they sent me my copy, as like you I have collected a huge amount of feet and accessories for my two Berninas.  I have an old 830 Record(1975) and that is not mentioned in this book, and then I have a much newer one an Artista 200.  Now the feet for the 830 Record do not fit on the Artista 200, nor do the bobbins and a lot of the accessories.  By the way my Artista comes under Category G.

Over the years as you probably know Bernina have brought out a few huge machines with enormous bobbins and feet which are totally different in the shank to what we are used to, so if you can get hold of one of these books I am sure it will help you and guide you to what you will go looking at.  By the way you are being sensible in trying to find something that you will still be able to use your existing collection of feet with.

Incidentally when I got my latest copy of this book, it came with a separate paper  retail price list.  As a matter of interest over the last year or so Bernina have been doing something called foot or accessory per month, and they select which one they are offering at a slightly reduced price.  Bernina (Bogod) have their own direct website now and if you use this the orders go straight down to Cardiff.

A few years ago now when I bought my Artista 200 it came with what they called  a Trolley or Suitcase System - my machine does not have a hard cover, instead it came with a huge zippered bag on the trolley.  The Embroidery module came in a huge cardboard box - and yes there was a matching bag to house this but was an optional extra.  Well where I intended to store the embroidery module would not take this without it getting damaged, so I then spoke to a lady who had run the Sewing School at Bogod in London for a very long time - she has now retired.  Bernina had also discontinued the style of the matching bags, and of course I wanted the embroidery module bag to be the matching one to my  main machine bag.   Well bless this lady within the day she had come back to me and had found such a bag, and of course this was tucked away in an obscure room down in Cardiff, and I received this much reduced in price the very next day - that was how I really got to know the ladies who operate down in Cardiff and prefer to use them when I am buying feet or accessories as I am dealing directly with them - and paying the same as I would from a dealer, but I do not have to keep on going miles to visit a dealer and then back again to collect, they come in the post usually the next day.

If you do get in touch with the Cardiff place, ask if they can send you  The Complete Catelogue for this year and that should list all the currents models and what they can do.

Good luck with your search and I do hope you can find something that suits you and that you like.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 07:37:57 AM »
@Gernella Pfaff is certainly a make that is on my radar! Which brings me to...
@Elnnina ... it never occurred to me the accessories may not fit every machine!
That put a cat among the pigeons and I will definitely be trying to get a copy of that booklet, thank you for the information.
If it turns out my accessories don't fit newer Berninas in my price range, it will make me think twice about it!
I do love my Nina, but maybe I will have a nosey around a few other brands too. 
Thank you both for giving me things to think about
BB

@Elnnina I found the booklet online as a PDF on the Bernina website, so thanks for the heads up  :D
It appears I would have had a load of useless accessories if I had gone for the 435 lol
However, it is all good with the 325 or 335  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:48:23 AM by Bumblebuncher »

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »
Bumblebuncher thank you and I am so glad that I was able to help you.  Yes buying a new machine is quite an eye opener.  How lucky that you found that booklet on line, and I do hope that you are able to make a decision on what machine you are going to have.

Just as a matter of interest when Bernina brought out the new 830 that costs the earth, I saw this on a dining table along with its embroidery unit in a shop and it took up the whole table - yes it is nice to have that huge harp area if you really are into quilting etc. in a big way, but otherwise it is huge.

Incidentially whlst I bought my Artista200 from a shop, the person who had part exchanged this was buying the new 830 at the time as apparently she always had to have the newest machine - I was very lucky indeed.

Are you going up to see Steve at Kings Lynn?  I gather he is extremely helpful and so is his staff.  By the way he is a member of TSP and is known as Machine Steve.

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2021, 12:10:47 PM »
I too have the Bernina Accessories booklet and have found it very useful, also Bogod are very helpful if one phones them.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2021, 12:17:13 PM »
@Elnnina Kings Lynn is a bit of a long journey from here so I don't think DH could manage it (his accident leaves him with little staying power).I can try out a few machines in Norwich, looking at a Pfaff 620 or Bernina at the moment.  I will be keeping my 135 as DD likes to come to mine to sew (minus children), so can still use it any time I want.
Decisions, decisions  :meditation:
BB

Celia

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2021, 12:40:24 PM »
I have used a lot of Bernina machines and also Pfaff, they are quite different so do try.

I had a Bernina 135 years ago as my little carry about machine and loved it , later I thought I would buy a big Bernina so I bought Bernina 530 I really didn’t take to it, it was so different to my little one it was a good machine but just not what I was used to, less than a year later it went wrong and due to a long story I had an opportunity to change it so I got a Berenina 350Q and an overlocker instead.

The 350PEhas the same feel about it as the old 135 which my friend still has and loves. I have used lots of other Machines and I do love the bigger Bernina but they just are different, not worse but just not for me.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2021, 12:52:48 PM »
@Celia Thanks for your thoughts. 
I am sure I am not in need of anything too much bigger.
This is what makes me stop and think.  Nothing wrong with my 135, it has been used a lot over the years and never let me down.  i just fancy something different, but Bernina don't seem to be offering anything different without going way above my price range.  I can't justify more than £1500 just for a change lol
I don't use embroidery or anything like that.  I have made Victorian, Tudor, Tutu's and corsets all on the 135s, which is probably why the bigger throat area appeals on the Pfaff. It is hard shoving through some of that stuff on the Bernina lol
BB

Surest1tch

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 13:05:12 PM »
@Bumblebuncher, I know nothing much of Bernina's (that's now though  :devil:). I'm a vintage Singer, Huskovana & Janome lover but I would say if you love the one you've got, don't part with it, past its best or not as you could regret it later on.
I had an old Toyota I gave to my daughter, within a year I was wishing I still had it. I can't even borrow it back now because she's sold it

realale

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 13:54:43 PM »
I had a Bernina 135 years ago

135 years ago?!! Gosh @Celia I didn't think you (or Bernina) were that old!!  :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
So many beers, so little time.

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 15:26:43 PM »

@realale

Not quite but I think I am 120 according to my profile  :devil:sometimes I feel it

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2021, 16:21:03 PM »
@Bumblebuncher, I know nothing much of Bernina's (that's now though  :devil:). I'm a vintage Singer, Huskovana & Janome lover but I would say if you love the one you've got, don't part with it, past its best or not as you could regret it later on.
I had an old Toyota I gave to my daughter, within a year I was wishing I still had it. I can't even borrow it back now because she's sold it