The Sewing Place

Purple jersey trousers

Silver Rose

Purple jersey trousers
« on: July 10, 2021, 15:55:32 PM »
Cut these out today with a little help from my friend. I got him to do most of the pinning and bending over the table and I managed the cutting out. Now to find suitable thread and a zip.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Still learning

dolcevita

Re: Purple jersey trousers
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 16:20:15 PM »
It's very purple! Looking forward to seeing the trousers  :D

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 13:06:31 PM »
Beautiful colour  :D Looking forward to the end result
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Silver Rose

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 07:11:15 AM »
Well. I've made a start, the darts are pinned ready to sew and I've made the waist facing. I found a greyish mauve zip and some purple thread. I'll do some more today.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 07:26:22 AM »
Darts and front and back seams sewn, waist facing finished off, now ready for zip and side pockets to be done. A bit more concentration needed for those jobs. Getting there slowly.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 12:13:10 PM »
I am sure they will be great, I think I have some similar fabric in black so I am really waiting to see your outcome

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 14:28:28 PM »
I am using my favourite McCall's Palmer/Pletsch pattern 6901 but with a centre back zip. I like the pockets and the straight leg style.  When I read Croft Mill's description of the fabric again I saw that it is a woven cotton with some elastine not a knit. It handles well with a small amount of curling at the edges.
I have used this pattern several times and drafted it onto strong paper after a few tries getting the fit right. @Celia what trouser pattern will you use?
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 12:33:52 PM »
I will probably use one of the patterns I have from style arc, when I get the fabric out I will see how stretchy it is before I decide. Is yours very stretchy?

Silver Rose

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 12:39:29 PM »
@Celia  it is not very stretchy and only one way, luckily widthways so it helps with the fit across my hips 'cos my derrière has spread a bit over the last 18 months  :S
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2021, 16:31:10 PM »
Did a bit more today, the zip is in and the pockets and side fronts are sewn. I've pinned the leg seams and will tack them tomorrow and try on for fit when I can get a second opinion.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »
Tried them on this morning, good fit in the derrière, thank goodness and I need to take the waist in an inch or so, I'll do that from the centre front as well as the side seams.
Still learning

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 06:55:25 AM »
Sewed the leg seams before a final fit then I noticed there was something odd about the foot pedal of my machine. I was sitting across the room chatting on the phone telling my friend and neighbour about what I was sewing when I looked over at the sewing table and saw that the pedal looked lopsided. When I picked it up there was a small crack on one side and the other side was higher up because there was a screw or bolt missing which i couldn't see anywhere under the table. Although it was working OK just before I noticed this I need to either get it fixed it or replaced before I do any more sewing which is a pain because I have only got to finish the waist facing on the machine and do the hems by hand.
Still learning

Celia

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2021, 10:21:32 AM »
What sort of machine do you have @Silver Rose ?

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2021, 11:10:31 AM »
@Celia  my machine is an Alfa Next 30, I bought it about eight years ago from my local Franklins to replace my ancient Merritt which gave up the ghost after 35 years, the last 20 of those in the cupboard.
It was not expensive but it had sewn anything from chiffon to denim with no problems. I an very fond if it but have been thinking about buying a more expensive machine but with the lockdowns last year and my dodgy hips I haven't done anything about it except lots of research and ogling of some of the fancy models. I'll phone Franklins tomorrow and order a new one because I don't think it can be repaired.
I used it this morning to sew the waist facing on so next I am going to give the trousers a press. When the hems are done I'll get some photos taken of me wearing them but because my posture is so one sided they might not look great.
Still learning

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2021, 18:03:56 PM »
@Silver Rose , we love you, they will look fab.