The Sewing Place

using fabric glue

rowe1311

using fabric glue
« on: August 16, 2017, 18:54:45 PM »
Now the kids are back at school I am back into sewing mode with a few ideas in the pipeline. 

Our sewing class will be having a christmas fayre in November and we thought we should start making a few things to sell.  I have the girls onto making tree decorations and us sewers were just going to make tote bags, purses etc.  They will be very basic as they will being sold cheaply and used to reduce our stash of fabrics in the cupboard. 

We might do some applique onto the purses and bags and wondered if anyone has ever tried a glue instead of bondaweb?  I have used bondaweb but it feels a bit of a pain to iron onto the bonda web then to cut it out and then re iron it onto the fabric, and then to sew.  I was hoping I might be able to use a glue in the same way you would with paper.  Stick it straight onto the fabric and then stitch around it. 

Clover do a stick like this https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Clover-Fabric-Adhesive-Stick-8541.html#SID=462 and I wondered if anyone had tried it or something similar and how they got on? 

Kad

Re: using fabric glue
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 19:05:37 PM »
The glue stick works well, but its NOT cheap to buy and didn't go far when I tried it for just the same purpose as you intend.  It may be cheaper to use a spray glue such as 505.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Hachi

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 19:34:52 PM »
Glue stick works really well as a temporary measure to hold the applique on the fabric while you sew. But you may need to decide whether to just use the glue stick to hold it or whether you may need more to act as a stabilizer (and depending on the size of the patch), I think.

I use a regular office/school supply glue stick  :P and don't even bother buying a special fabric glue. I use it for zipper application too to hold the zipper on the fabric instead of using pins.
If you are using for an applique, you can "heat-set" the glue by pressing the applique with dry iron (though I've never tried so I don't know if heat-setting actually makes the bond stronger).

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 19:50:16 PM »
I have looked at the spray adhesive and can't imagine how I would use it with fiddly little bits without spraying glue everywhere, but that might be just me. 

I can't tell how big the glue sticks are for price, but it sells at £4.83 from amazon which seems a bit cheaper than rrp at the moment. 

Hachi, my fear with ordinary glue sticks would be that it would gum up the needles when you sew the piece afterwards.  Have you had a problem with this?  Would the heat setting mean it is less likely to gum up needles? 

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 20:01:35 PM »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Glue-Sticks-Pens/Sewline-Fabric-FAB50012-water-soluble-invisible/B00REIQW08
I've used this successfully. I just dabbed a bit on to stop my layers slipping and I chose it because it washes off...just in case.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 20:26:04 PM »
Why dont you just cut lil squares of double sided fusi (heatn bond and such)
and use it, in the middle or a couple of pieces at either end, just to hold the piece down before you sew ????

a bit like glue dots ... but fusi dots !!!   :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Hachi

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 21:27:46 PM »
No, I never had problem gumming up the needle. You are only using just a bit of a glue to hold the piece temporarily. I am thinking if you heat set the glue, it also drys the glue too so less chance to gum up, maybe?

I always use a glue stick but I've seen many people on YouTube using non-stick type glue like Elmer's glue in a bottle (do you have Elmer's glue in the UK? It's a PVA glue).
This video explains glue basting using Elmer's glue, if you are interested.

rowe1311

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 15:09:28 PM »
I will give normal glue a try and see what happens.  If I only stick it in the middle it might be okay.  If not, Iminei your idea might work.  I find it so time consuming cutting out the bondaweb with each type of fabric, but if I have ready made squares it would be nearly as quick as glue, hopefully. 

Lizzielogs

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 18:46:38 PM »
What about little strips of Prym Double Sided Transparent Wonder Tape? You can sew over it and it doesn't gum up the needle, I use it to hold the zip in place when I do a letter box zip in handbags.

Lizzy777

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
I've been using this and its good too.

One is stick and spray (temporary) and the other one is
stick and stay (permanent) they are designed for use on fabrics and do not affect your sewing machine. Easy to spray and it doesn't go everywhere either.

http://www.crafterscompanion.co.uk/stick-and-spray-adhesive-for-fabric-violet-can.html

Think you can buy this from John Lewis now too.