The Sewing Place

Help Please ....

CarolC

Re: Help Please ....
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
Gosh what a lot of pretty pretties!! And the quilt is amazing. The is going to be so nice.

You may find it easier to put small handfuls of the stones on saucers or little paper plates rather than fishing them out of the boxes one by one. Use a separate plate per colour/size if you can. If you gently shake the plate, the stones will magically flip pointy side up.

In terms of leaving it flat, it will be more than dry enough to move after an hour or two, but avoid folding it until the glue is well and truly dry. It is often necessary to do stoning over several days so you can wait for it to dry before moving the work to the next area.

Speaking of drying glue, Gemtac dries clear, but also waterproof, so it is very difficult to remove once dry. Don't worry about little bits of glue around the edges of the stones, but use a toothpick or similar to scrape up any glue that went horribly wrong and if necessary wipe with water while the glue is still wet.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 13:20:43 PM »
Thanks for all your tried tips and advice.
I will get round to this mid month and will no doubt be back with queries and gripes then!  :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

KayK

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 19:15:40 PM »
I just love the quilt - its simply stunning! 

Have you thought of using hot fix crystals - I have used these for all sorts of stuff, on jeans, on riding breeches, saddle cloths, gloves, skirts....   and they go through the wash, time after time and so far, I have not lost a single one.   The swarovski ones are by far they best, and to be honest, using the little iron to attach them with isnt difficult!   The only thing I think to look out for is the cost of the little irons/applicators - they vary in price and are all basically the same!  You can also buy stencils for crystals too if you need a more uniform look.   I also use a pair of bent ended tweezers that came with my overlocker to pick the little devils up with!  Also there is no mess at all - it just takes a few seconds for the glue to melt on the back of each crystal, then just dab it where you want it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Iminei

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 07:04:40 AM »
Thank you for that but I really need to stop spending on stuff so I'll go with the gemtac and what I have Im afraid!

Iminei

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 19:45:15 PM »
Right!
Its been confirmed that its in the FoQ, so next week I will be blinging up the Under the Sea quilt....

Hanging sleeve first, then a serious Blingathon ...

Wish me luck!

Lilian

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 19:58:06 PM »
Good Luck Imi!  All will be good I'm sure of it  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Sakar

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 06:05:00 AM »
Good luck!!!!

And it will be great!! As usual, when you are doing something!!  :flower:

Catllar

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
Good luck with the blinding. It's going to be even more gorgeous!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2017, 17:55:22 PM »
The hanging sleeve is now attached so there is no reason not to bling away but I'm still procrastinating ...
I think I will try on a small prototype first.

WHY am I so apprehensive about this???
Any ideas where to attach my bling???

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 19:37:02 PM »
What sort of Buggery is this ??  To paraphrase Amy Winehouse

Hooooow boring ????
Hoooow Fiddly ????
Hoooow soul destroying ???

Is adding bling to the Undersea ?

GAH !!! as Demented Fairy would say....

But I've started so must finish ....Groan  :(

Acorn

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 19:54:22 PM »
'Tis gorgeous and can only get gorgeouser.

You're on the home straight!  Go Iminei!  0_0
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 20:33:19 PM »
I just hope you lot are right and the glue dries clear and you can't see the smears and its not overdone and I'm beginning to think I'm a fool entering the quilts anyway..... (dissolves into a quivering wreck)

BrendaP

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 20:46:43 PM »
Any ideas where to attach my bling???

Over the critters to make them look sparkly, and maybe  a few in the foamy waves at the top.

For picking up teensie weensie bits I've got a couple of pairs of very pointy tweezers which I got from Joanna Sheen.  Alas she soesn't seem to stock them any more but she does have this.  These tweezers look to be apretty good buy though.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Jo

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 20:47:24 PM »
It's great and going to be even more awesome! Now stop procrastinating and browsing the forums and just finish it so we can see pictures of how lovely it is, yes?  :D

b15erk

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 09:24:48 AM »
Try using a bit of Blue tac on the end of a cocktail stick for the teeny tiny bits.  I have big hands, and really struggled, but this little tool helped a lot.

When will we see it?  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.