The Sewing Place

What fabric to use for my test?

Tigerpit

What fabric to use for my test?
« on: May 27, 2021, 20:16:40 PM »
I'm making a friend's wedding dress in crepe, so it's flowy and drapey rather than structured.
I would normally make a toile out of lightweight muslin but I don't know that it would be right for this, I want to be able to see the toile fabric drape, if you see what I mean.

I was thinking of using something like a soft lining, like bremsilk, but I'd deeply appreciate any other suitable suggestions. I'm having total brain-fog.

BrendaP

Re: What fabric to use for my test?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »
A cheap polyester crepe, it will drape but won't be very nice to wear.   Outlets such as Immanuels or Pound Fabrics should have the stuff.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 14:45:36 PM »
I agree with @BrendaP.  Crepe is drapey and can be weighty.   Lining won’t give you the same idea. 

Tigerpit

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 15:24:31 PM »
Thank you very much. I was afraid lining would be too light.

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 14:05:11 PM »
Personally, I would make two toiles: one in calico for fit, and then one in a cheap poly crepe for drape. Of course, that is twice the work, so you may wish to ignore me!

Tigerpit

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2021, 13:47:31 PM »
Personally, I would make two toiles: one in calico for fit, and then one in a cheap poly crepe for drape. Of course, that is twice the work, so you may wish to ignore me!

That's exactly what I've done! First fit in the muslin confirmed my pattern is sized right, now we're just testing the drape aspect with the crepe toile. Thank you!