The Sewing Place

Mother of the groom - informal wedding ideas

SingingSinger

Mother of the groom - informal wedding ideas
« on: July 11, 2021, 08:33:08 AM »
My son and his girlfriend have just announced their engagement.  :D The wedding date is yet to be set but it wil be an informal do, close family, registry office followed by a BBQ. Probably in a couple of months time.

I have no idea what to wear. I like dresses, I don't mind sleeveless, but jackets look awful on me. I' d need flattish shoes as I can't wear heels any more. I'm a bit stumped for ideas. Where do I start?
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Mother of the groom - informal wedding ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 09:15:40 AM »
Would an unstructured jacket suit you better, something like a waterfall front in a very soft drapey fabric?

SingingSinger

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
Would an unstructured jacket suit you better, something like a waterfall front in a very soft drapey fabric?

That's a thought. My 'go to' with a dress for work is a cardi but I need to step up a bit!
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 09:26:38 AM »
Possibly a large square shawl folded diagonally and fastened with a bit of glitz.  If it'a bbq on grass you will need flatish shoes anyway, or maybe a small wedge.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 12:27:26 PM »
I was going to suggest the same as @Bodgeitandscarper.  Or a nice kimono type in a silky fabric?

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 15:05:05 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions ladies :D  I'll do some research  :thinking: Google tells me the MOTB should choose her outfit first, and as the happy couple have not set the date yet, I probably have time to think this through. I expect registry offices have a backlog of weddings to get through so it might be longer than they anticipate!

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2021, 17:53:18 PM »
Lovely news! Do you like Marcy Tilton patterns  @SingingSinger ? If so how about this one - a dress and shrug? I haven't made the shrug yet but have made a couple of versions of the dress and it is really nice - can be dressy and comfortable at the same time.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

charlotte

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
What about a dress with an over-shirt or cape rather than a jacket or cardigan?

Something like V1532, or this Lekala one, or V1579.

These are all similar shapes, but the main dress could be whatever style/shape is flattering on you/ appropriate for the occasion.

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »
I like that V1532 a lot.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

SingingSinger

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2021, 20:03:59 PM »
@Tamnymore I like the Marcy Tilton but i don't think I have the body or height to carry it off :)

@charlotte V1532 is lovely. I really like the idea of a cape. That is food for thought.

Thanks for the suggestions - it helps me to think a bit outside my comfort zone  :D

Tamnymore

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2021, 20:37:46 PM »
I am fairly tall @SingingSinger but I'm definitely in the XL or XXL range for MarcyTilton patterns if that helps and I've found them fine!  :laughing:
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde