The Sewing Place

DGD3 is a natural

Lyn-J

DGD3 is a natural
« on: June 03, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
I helped 11 yo DGD3 make a skirt, just a simple elastic-waist, width-of-fabric skirt. it's the first thing she has made.
But, WOW is she a natural on a sewing machine! She looks so confident! She can sew in a straight line and knows about reversing and when to do it. The only thing she had trouble with is getting the elastic through, still that will come in time.
I couldn't get a picture as she had to dash off to an appointment, wearing her skirt.
Next up is a pair of shorts, because she can't get what she wants in the shops!

b15erk

Re: DGD3 is a natural
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:11:52 AM »
Isn't it lovely when they show an interest in something, and you are able to help them along.

I'm rather hoping the lovely Lilya will enjoy sewing, I'm doing my best to encourage it! :) (She's only 4 though....)

Has she started a stash yet?   :devil:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:22:49 AM »
That's great to hear Lyn, it's up to us to keep the skills alive. 
Jessie, I can remember sewing and knitting with my grandmother when I was 4.  My sister, a year older, and I had a children's  sewing machine too.  So, never too early to start.
I would love to teach a child / children to sew.  Alas, no children means no grandchildren.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 09:26:09 AM »
The difficulty with Lilya, is the same as that I had with eldest DD, they are both left handed!  It takes a lot of patience! ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Zigzag

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »
Earlier this year at sewing classes a couple of young girls expressed that they felt it was unfair that sewing was no longer on the school syllabus nowadays.  What a joy for youngsters to be able to learn sewing skills from family members.  My mother helped me learn to use a sewing machine and at school I learnt to cut fabric and use sewing patterns.  Congrats Lyn  :toast:

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
Lyn that must give you so much pleasure!

You're giving her a skill and building memories, wonderful.

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 15:00:10 PM »
they are both left handed!
In my teaching days I always sat opposite left handers to teach them manual skills (with appropriate left handed tools - I had to fight the headmaster for that)

Manuela

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 16:00:45 PM »
Lyn, this is just wonderful. What a lucky girl she is.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 16:51:22 PM »
My Granddaughters aged 16 12,10 and 9 enjoy sewing when they come here ( once a year ) so I gave them my old machine, some beginners books and some fabric and threads. That was 2 yrs ago and I don't think it has been used more than twice. When I was up there recently I couldn't even find it.....perhaps it's found its way to eBay  :D :D
I don't mind. I believe you come to these things in your own time. I'm not in favour of involving kids in gardening, sewing, woodwork etc.They get a false impression of it and there is nothing for them to discover as adults ( except sex and driving I suppose )
:D :D :D :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lyn-J

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 21:50:01 PM »
I think if children express an interest then you should show them, but it shouldn't be forced upon them. I started knitting at 3 and sewed my first dress at 6 (with lots of help) and made all my own clothes since I was 13.
DD1 has no interest in machine sewing but makes fancy dress costumes and does repairs for friends by hand.  DD2 is very craft and can do all things glue gun but doesn't make clothes - yet. DGD1 sews for her home, she lives far away and I haven't taught her, she's came to do it own her own. Is it in the genes?

I hand sew left handed (mostly) and DGD3 is right handed - I hadn't thought of that  :[

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 22:46:56 PM »
MyLGD is 7 and seems interested - she always wants to make something with Nannie and has got the machine sussed. I put the speed limiter on slow and away she goes. I think next visit we'll make a twirly skirt for her.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 08:27:03 AM »
My mum is the best cook and baker and it's what she does to relax. I would starve to death if it wasn't for biscuits! I am lucky to be a very good baker but I don't choose to do it for fun, only if guests are coming.
However...
I sew, knit, crochet, cross stitch, tile, plaster, build kitchens.... I was gifted with "hands for anything".
I got the knitting from my mum, the crochet from my granny and I have a very crafty family. Of course it wasn't called craft when they did it, it was called necessity.
My friend couldn't hammer a nail into a turnip and has no interest so I taught all three of her children to knit. (Two boys and a left handed girl  :S).
At primary school we learnt to sew by hand and on treadle machines which were ancient even then but I loved it. I was first to master pulling the wheel to ensure I was going forwards and not backwards when I treadled.  :)
I made a blue flowery gathered skirt in school when I was 8 and cried when I finally grew out of it.
Give them a little taste of everything and they'll pick and mix.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
I feel quite sad when a child's natural interests aren't nurtured.  When my neighbour's 8 year old son is here we always go up to the pond (just a hole in the ground) and watch the newts, tadpoles, diving beetles, damsel flies and the rest.  We sit on the edge and have long, sometimes quite deep conversations.  He is enthralled by wildlife and asks very pertinent questions.  His mother won't let him have even the smallest pond (horror of horrors he might get wet or drown).  He tells me wistfully that he always has to do car stuff with his dad and he doesn't really enjoy it.

b15erk

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 10:53:12 AM »
Plosh, great idea to do face to face for left handers.  I'll give it a go.

Jessie