The Sewing Place

Yet another project!

Andymat

Re: Yet another project!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 22:19:04 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't worry about those corners, they look fine, no-one will notice.

I 2nd this although I can understand how you feel about it. If you were really worried I suppose you could line the inside?

As for sewing the top and the bottom together (which I think I understand is what you want to do)...
Do you need to sew the two main pieces together? Could you just continue the black strap round the back of the lid and sew it to the bottom of the main pannier? Then you would only have to sew the straps on each part rather than try to sew both top and bottom together. This would mean you would probably have to unpick the strap on the top  :( . It might also mean that spray from the wheel in the wet could get thrown upwards  under the overlapping top and into the bag I suppose. In which case you could add some more of your tent material as a bridge between the two parts, ie an extended hinge, and use the strap going round the back to hold the lid in the correct position when fastened. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to describe. It might make it easier to sew a thinner piece of fabric to each part rather than sew the two thicker parts together.

However overall, I am very impressed! It looks quite small. Is it for the front wheel? Have you done another for the other side? How are you going to fix them on the bike?

I made some (plastic) clips using a nylon 3D printed process for my old panniers a while back which were reasonably successful although not perfect.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2021, 08:29:19 AM »
Corners on the inside wont be seen ... Dont sweat it.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bill

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2021, 15:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the ideas folks  :)
The corners indeed won't be seen by anyone but I'll know they're there. My biggest critic is me but I have done a slightly neater job on the 3rd version. Just snipped the corners off before sewing.
I've managed to sew the lid on. Twice actually. The 1st time I got it finished then realised I'd sewn it on back to front. Bury head in hands and swear silently to myself moment  :laughing:  2 pieces of strap sewn to the original straps like hinges. Crude but it's worked although I'll be refining it for the final finished bags.
These are just mock ups @Andymat so I can figure out problems etc. Better messing up these than the finished ones.
Doing a pair for the front rack for now and if all goes well I'll be adding rear panniers and a bar bag. All in dark blue to match the bike  :D
Fitting. That's a tricky one. For now, I've decided on an inside pocket into which I'll slide a pre drilled alloy plate. They'll stop the bags from sagging and will enable me fit 2 fixed clips on the top and 1 lower adjustable clip for the front bags. The rear bags will have a similar design but the top clips will be adjustable too. I've found the top clips on various online bike shops but the bottom ones are proving difficult to source. Some fettling may be required.
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Catllar

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 14:12:47 PM »
I'm picturing the pig's arse! Never seen one up close - is it pleated or gathered??
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dolcevita

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2021, 15:12:05 PM »
Super job! Really well done.

I'm with @Bodgeitandscarper - why worry about the corners? I would say that structural strength is more important than anyone bothering to empty out your metric ton of jaffa cakes to inspect how neatly trimmed your internal base corners are. And if they do go to that much bother, you can either beat them to death with the aforementioned metric ton of jaffa cakes, or your bare hands having been suitably fortified by.......a metric ton of jaffa cakes.

Either way, don't sweat it - your finishing looks great to me and you could always just cover it with waterproofing seam tape, should it keep you awake at nights. Though that's more likely to be indigestion from eating too many jaffa cakes.

Bill

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2021, 22:23:44 PM »
Finished 'em! Sort of...

I need to drill the alloy plates on the backs, fit the clips and wash the white pen marks off.
Pretty chuffed with myself  :D

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

fajita

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 01:13:14 AM »
They look really good, very impressed.  :perfect10:

Celia

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 09:14:27 AM »
Wow they look really professional  :perfect10:

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 09:30:12 AM »
Great job!  Looks like you overcame your problem of the lids by just attaching them with the straps?  Did you seam seal them, or will you use waterproof bags/dry bags inside?

Bill

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
Thank you ladies  :D
@Bodgeitandscarper I'm undecided on that one. I already have dry bags aplenty but those are just extra faff when trying to get something. I'm leaning towards sealing but I've made that many holes through pinning, sewing, unsewing etc it might be like trying to plug the Titanic. Dry bags I think might be a last resort if all else fails.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 10:03:58 AM »
@Bill Test them for waterproofness under the shower  0_0

I have fully waterproof Ortlieb panniers, but still used dry bags when cycle touring as it helped to organise stuff.  I guess it depends what you are using them for.

How about covers instead?  I know, more faff...

Bill

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
These are just for carrying food and maybe a light rain jacket etc. Saves opening up the rear bags...which I plan on making to match the front :)

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
They look really professional, I'd be well pleased if I'd done them @Bill
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2021, 10:43:56 AM »
Very nice @Bill ..

You will cycle with style.

William

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2021, 18:42:36 PM »
Wow - !!! Well done -
and not just for someone with :mediocre skills: as you say.
Brilliant and much happiness as you ride with these!
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.