Silver Rose

Re: Yet another project!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2021, 19:01:32 PM »
They look great @Bill well done
Still learning

Andymat

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2021, 20:01:51 PM »
Have got around to photographing the clips I did for my small front pannier. They were made using a process called Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) which produces effectively a pretty strong Nylon part.

The top ones I think you are sorted with. The bottom one relies on the top clips being prevented from sliding along the top rails, by vertical bars on my rack and hook behind the rack bars at the bottom. They will only come off when the top is released. Idea borrowed from something I had seen elsewhere.

Your bags look great - I assume these are the final ones now?

Ploshkin

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »
You've made a superb job of those @Bill  No stopping you now  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Bill

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2021, 02:38:44 AM »
Thank you for all your kind words!  :D
I might just get my head through the doorway  :laughing:

These are indeed the final version @Andymat and I now have the top clips fitted. I've gone for rixon&kaul clips there although I think they need an extra bolt to fasten to the back plate. Currently there's only one bolt per clip which seems to be chancing it.
A member of a cycling forum has directed me to some bottom clips made by ortlieb which should fit. Awaiting their delivery now. Once those are fitted I can get onto proofing the seams and then it's a test ride. Nervous? Me?  :scream:
Your clips look the business. I always wondered if the plastic used in a 3D printer was up to the task of surviving the abuse a typical bike takes. Have you put much weight on yours?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Andymat

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2021, 12:01:35 PM »
Your clips look the business. I always wondered if the plastic used in a 3D printer was up to the task of surviving the abuse a typical bike takes. Have you put much weight on yours?

Yes, the parts are very strong and usable but not all 3D printers will produce a usable part. The SLS process is the only one I know of that will produce a usable part and the machines that use the process cost £500,000 upwards so I get parts by mail order through a bureau company in London. SLS uses powdered Nylon and uses a laser to melt the material in the required positions, layer by layer and you get a pretty much solid part. Nylon is a very strong plastic and  probably what your rixon&kaul clips are moulded in.

I wouldn't risk any other 3D printing process though for usable parts - the machines you buy cheaply and for home use are generally for visual use only with no strength at all.

My pannier that these are fitted on, originally had plastic coated metal hooks and an elastic  stay at the bottom but loaded up, the hooks would jump off and so I made these to be mechanically fixed on the bar. I have push the tab to release the clip. Works great.

Bill

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2021, 09:47:25 AM »
My latest make is this...
A campsite wash bag. Pam was struggling to carry all her soaps and lotions and potions and towels and clothes and anything else you could think of to the showers on our last camp trip.
My original idea of a dinky curved back pack didn't go too well but Pam said she loved my panniers and if I could miniaturize one? Why not!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Celia

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2021, 11:38:33 AM »
Wow that’s gorgeous and what a great shape.  You can’t post this and then say you are bored  :devil:  Get back to that sewing machine  :perfect10:

Bill

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2021, 10:24:15 AM »
These are the 3rd incarnation of my bar bag. It was going well until it came to piecing the inner lining to the outer as there's an alloy box frame sandwiched between the layers. Sure as sugar can't stitch through that! So, what to do...
First thought was using steel poppers. More thought on that rendered it non workable.
Zip? Nah.
Velcro! That's simple and doable. So off I set.
Finished bag fits well around the frame but the lid is too tight to be easily usable in use on a bike tour and it doesn't cover the pocket tops like I planned. The lining is a bit too loose/baggy and the velcro fastening is both ugly as the pm and equally as flimsy. Fail.
What to do. Unpicking isn't an option. I'd need a microscope to find the stitches.
So, it's either a 4th attempt, ugh, or just give up and accept defeat, which would be annoying.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2021, 10:32:47 AM »
I agree with all that Bodgie says.  Don't worry about the inside corners so long as they look neat on the outside and reduce the nuber of seams wherever possible.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bumblebuncher

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2021, 12:00:49 PM »
@Bill Could you add a flap to the lid to cover the pockets?
It seems a shame to give up, take a look at the rubbish they sell at exorbitant prices and you  may not be so hard on yourself  ;)
BB
As it neared the top of the grade, it went more slowly. However, it still kept saying, "I—think—I—can, I—think—I—can." It reached the top by drawing on bravery and then went on down the grade, congratulating itself by saying, "I thought I could,  I thought I could."

Diane

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2021, 13:02:14 PM »
Thank you ladies  :D
@Bodgeitandscarper I'm undecided on that one. I already have dry bags aplenty but those are just extra faff when trying to get something. I'm leaning towards sealing but I've made that many holes through pinning, sewing, unsewing etc it might be like trying to plug the Titanic. Dry bags I think might be a last resort if all else fails.

If you wanted to make them waterproof you could always add one of those elasticated rain covers like you get on a rucksack, it's attached to the top of the bag and you just roll it out over the pannier if raining. Good job they look very professional
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Bill

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »
The new panniers were more or less finished last night. I need to give them a spin in the washer to remove the chalk lines and quarter inch tape and then waterproof the seams. A trial run of the waterproofing process suggests this will be a time consuming job.
I adapted the previous design a little to cut down on the amount of sewing and fiddliness as both lead to weak points. I also swapped out the original alloy backing plates for correx sheet. This saves weight and makes for a simpler build. I've used smaller buckles too as the last ones were huge compared to the bag size.
These ones are for carrying food on the front pannier racks so the next job is to make a set for carrying heavier, bulkier stuff on the rear rack.

Celia

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2022, 11:38:20 AM »
Wow @Bill they look amazing really professional well done.

Silver Rose

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2022, 11:53:07 AM »
Brilliant job @Bill  :thumb: well done.
Still learning

Surest1tch

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2022, 12:56:06 PM »
Great jobs @Bill, they look as good if not better than some of my proffesionally made camera bags  :thumb:.