The Sewing Place

Lining a boil-in-the-bag coat

Bodgeitandscarper

Lining a boil-in-the-bag coat
« on: July 13, 2021, 15:51:35 PM »
I bought a very thin waterproof coat, it says it's breathable, but it has no lining.
I've tried wearing it twice and it's been wetter on the inside (particularly the sleeves) than the outside, yuk!

I have some mesh lining fabric and I've traced a pattern off the front, back, and sleeves.  Would I make this lining the same size as the coat, or a bit looser?  The coat is a loose fit, and the sleeves nice and wide, and the lining has a certain amount of give.

Acorn

Re: Lining a boil-in-the-bag coat
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 15:54:58 PM »
I'd make it the same size - but I'm no expert!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

charlotte

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 16:01:14 PM »
I think I'd probably still do the standard pleat in the back I would for any coat or jacket, but if the mess is stretchy it's probably not necessary.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2021, 18:06:22 PM »
Thanks peeps  0_0

Guess what?  I didn't have enough mesh fabric, so I've done a real bodge job and just lined the sleeves by sewing it to the armhole seam allowance  :laughing:

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 18:34:58 PM »
That’s probably a great shout, as my coat linings always go at the armscye seams first.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2021, 22:54:51 PM »
Lining the arms might help to stop the so-called breathable fabric sticking to your arms but the condensation/moisture will still build up inside if it can't escape.
A common feature on even cheap cycling jackets are pit zips. Dunno if you've seen those but a small 6 inch or so zip on each armpit let's the damp air escape. Because it's under the arms, rain doesn't get in.
Might be worth a go?
Bernina 570QE (Bernie)     1937 Singer 201k (sally)
The best advice I can give you, is don't take advice from me
Don't follow me, I do stupid things

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »
Thanks @Bill yes, I've had cycling jackets with pit zips, they do help.  The only fabric I found any good for cycling was eVent - almost impossible to find these days, but so much better than Goretex.

This is a "fashion" coat, so I really didn't expect very much from it, but it came in my size (bigger than enormous) and it's a great dog-tooth check, not a plain colour - shallow? moi?  :laughing:

It's main use will be just for those unexpected showers in the summer, when I'm wearing sleeveless or short sleeves, so lining the sleeves will hopefully make it wearable on the odd occasion, but not too bulky to roll up into a very small pack.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 17:14:23 PM »
If not zips, how about a series of eyelets - if you have the gadget for it.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 20:56:35 PM »
If not zips, how about a series of eyelets - if you have the gadget for it.

I was also thinking eyelets, or their larger cousins, grommets. I had a fabulous fashion rain coat, a bright red textured number, that had one of those back flap yoke type things and color matched mesh underneath. Quite brilliant.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.