The Sewing Place

I suppose it could be classed as furnishings

Gernella

I suppose it could be classed as furnishings
« on: July 13, 2021, 16:36:41 PM »
I've finished my second machine mat today, trying to pretend I can do quilting at the same time, well I made sandwich.  I'd already got a large fleece tablecloth underneath that I bought years ago but I wanted something that I could stick pins in with ease and find them again.

The bit forward of the machine has three layers of batting inside and across the front, which I think will take pins nicely.  I didn't bother adding pockets on this one, I just wanted a bit of dangle plus I didn't have enough fabric.  The 'quilting' is willy nilly to make sure the batting didn't migrate anywhere.

I clock off at 4 so didn't get time to take a picture of the one for the little Passport which does have pockets in.

I do have some strips of fabric left and I know at least one has a complete birdie in.  Happy to post if anyone can make use of them to cut up.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Surest1tch

Re: I suppose it could be classed as furnishings
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 22:17:13 PM »
What beautiful fabric

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 10:35:52 AM »
What I actually bought @Surest1tch , which set me off making my own was this:

It was beautifully made but for some reason the blue check fabric annoyed me, not really a blue person.  It also felt a bit lightweight and too short for what I wanted.  The other one I liked was on Etsy but with US postal charges, making it really expensive.

This fabric I do like and I can live with this for a long time.  It is certainly better than looking at the old table cloth cover
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Diane

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 19:51:48 PM »
@Gernella I love your fabric choice and i can why you wanted to make your own i also couldn't sit there looking at the blue checked fabric. Another project to add to my ever growing list  :laughing:
I’m a fabricholic on the road to recovery. Just kidding. I’m on the road to the fabric store.

Janome Memory Craft Horizon 9450QCP, Janome 4300QDC, Overlocker Brother 1034d, Husqvarna Viking Designer Topaz 40

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 20:48:24 PM »
I like the blue checked fabric but am with you on ditching the pockets.  They look good but I suspect that in use they would get in the way.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 16:52:03 PM »
The second one.  Not exactly enthralled with the 'pockets' but they are done now.  I tend to put my hand out, not down when I want anything.

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2021, 18:55:09 PM »
Why do you need a may @Gernella ? My machine is directly on the wooden desk and never moves a millimetre  :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 19:07:55 PM »
I'm a pin pusher @Lowena I stick pins in whatever the machine is sat on.  That machine is on the dining room table so it's a polished surface, doesn't matter what's underneath it, it moves if I'm not careful as it is a lightweight machine.  The regular machine wouldn't move on its perch.

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 19:42:18 PM »
Ah, I see

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 05:40:28 AM »
@Gernella

I was wondering about those pockets, pretty sure they'd drive me nuts as I reach out to the right for everything. Scissors, pincushion, thread snips, coffee, ruler, trash bin, etc.

But most of all, I want a purple sewing machine!  :dance: That is sew cool!

Maybe if the Morse ever needs a paint job? :thinking:

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 09:52:07 AM »
@Gernella

I was wondering about those pockets, pretty sure they'd drive me nuts

I wish I'd never put them on @Esme866 , especially since I already knew I wouldn't use them.  One of those things that looks very useful but in practice is useless and like you, I reach out for everything. Most of the time I use the bits catcher on the purple machine for dumping little scissors, snips and ripper.

Silver Rose

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 11:55:31 AM »
@Gernella  Hope you don't mind me hopping on to your thread about the sewing machine mat. I have cut out two cotton  rectangles to fit under my machine, one of the lemons and the other of the poppies and found Cosmo's  :meow: blanket he liked on the sofa for the wadding so not too thick. I have safety pinned the three layers together now thinking about what to do next and what to use to bind it with. I'll work it out eventually.
Still learning

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 13:08:08 PM »
Lemons and poppies, that sounds lovely @Silver Rose  I cheated  when I did mine. I put the top and bottom together right sides facing it each other, then the batting/filling on top, machined round three sides and then turned inside out so the pattern sides were top and bottom then finished the unsewn  end off and machined all the way round to create a 'band' finishing the bit of 'quilting' using my new super duper machine, more to try out the stitches and I am afraid done by 'eye', although I have been known to use a ruler and machine up to that in the past.

It is a very easy way to do something like this for me, especially not being an expert in this field of craft.

Silver Rose

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 13:17:40 PM »
I might borrow your quick and easy method I haven't a clue about binding - all that cutting of strips  :S. It is not going to be a work of art is it ? I'll be only person to see it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 13:23:22 PM by Silver Rose »
Still learning

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 13:53:40 PM »
Binding is easy @Silver Rose and finishes a project off nicely. However, using the bagging out type method @Gernella did is effective.
Perhaps you could both be tempted into The Darkside you'd be very welcome...and you know you secretly want to.... :devil: