The Sewing Place

By Hand London Anna dress

dolcevita

By Hand London Anna dress
« on: July 14, 2021, 16:08:35 PM »
I've been working on this dress for what feels like forever - several weeks, anyway.
I have an A0 copyshop version of the download pattern, from fabricated. The fabric is from Fabricland, one of the several viscose prints that I bought about a month ago.
Let's start with the pattern. There are gazillions of these out there with (mostly) positive reviews and the pattern is a good few years old now, so I was expecting good things. Sadly, the drafting is horrible. The 6 piece skirt has straight edges everywhere, including at the waist and the hem! For a long maxi version like this, you can get away with the straight hem, but it wouldn't be good on a shorter version. As for the length! I'd have been really annoyed if I'd used expensive fabric for this, together with their guide on fanric requirements, as I had to shorten the skirt by 25cm and made a generous hem after that and it still swishes just below my ankle bone. I know I'm not the tallest person around at just over 5' 4" but 25cm! Really?! I shorted the bodice, too, but nothing like a corresponding amount.
You get the impression that the instructions are great, but most of this is taken up with pattern layouts and the instructions are adequate. Not great. The FBA method on the website isn't great, either. I didn't like their facings, so drafted my own to finish the sleeves at the same time. And I don't like their invisible zip installation. Or the lack of a placket or decent allowance for the thigh split, if you choose that option, and so on. Sadly, even if you follow the instructions to the letter, you won't end up with a polished-looking garment, which is a pity as the concept design is lovely.
It's a design which could be great for beginners but that will do little to advance their skills, in my opinion.
Notwithstanding all that, it has turned out okay and with major upgrades to the pattern, it's now a wearable and versatile design, but for the money and experience there is much better available.
Note that I have wider hips than Wonky Doris and so the skirt flares into a gentle A-line on me. And it swishes very nicely!
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Gernella

Re: By Hand London Anna dress
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 16:52:41 PM »
I like it @dolcevita , I often thing that once you get them of the stand they look far better on the body with some curves in.

That is a winner.  <3
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 17:17:08 PM »
Annoying when you pay that much for a pattern. But that’s the trouble with independent pattern companies.  Never know what you’re going to get.

b15erk

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 18:27:23 PM »
Your dress is beautiful @dolcevita !   <3

Unfortunately, some patterns are just duff - I've come across a few.  Unlike you, I have neither the patience or the knowledge to fix them!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »
It is a lovely dress and pretty fabric, well done for persevering with it.
Still learning

SingingSinger

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 18:04:45 PM »
Well done @dolcevita. That reminds me that I made the Anna dress as a wearable toile. I don't think I've worn it yet, possibly because of the fit. I'll dig it out and take another look.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

jen

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:53:49 AM »
The finished article looks great, but what a pity the pattern is duff. I don’t buy downloads, though once or twice I have been tempted by a style I liked. Your fabric is super, I can understand your perseverance.

William

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Well Done!!!

Such a shame that you had such a struggle with the pattern.  The results of your perseverance are really impressive!! Bravo!! :thumbsup:

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 21:51:05 PM »
Lovely dress.